• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Sam Stubbs (and Cheerio)

Average Joe

Exactly, it astounds me how many posters on this forum are unable to grasp this simple fact.
I get it, however i'm guessing it would be under some insurance or mutual respect. There's no way we'd just cut him and still pay full wages

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I get it, however i'm guessing it would be under some insurance or mutual respect. There's no way we'd just cut him and still pay full wages
I'm really not sure you do 'get it' otherwise you wouldn't have made the comment in the first place. His current wage forms part of the current budget. Unless he leaves for less than the value of his current contract we have saved no money toward a new player which surely you realised?

Well-known Exeweb poster
So he's had an op' and he's recovering...anyone any idea when the 'chop' happened? Then it Shouldn't be to difficult,.all being well, to work out when he's gonna be ready.. but he's up and running anyone? sounds like a month ish.? ..him playing, will be a double plus for the second half of the season..

ecfc2000

Back running on the grass, according to GC in his interview today.
Still a way to go but he is progressing.
3 weeks away?

SDRighton

You get the feeling with Stubbsy, much as I love him, that unless they replace his entire body, he'll always pick up an injury somewhere.

ChardGrecian

Much as I dislike paying a player who is injured for long periods, the Stubbs affect last year was a major factor in getting promoted. He is a quality defender who would be playing at much higher level if he did not have the issue with his knee. Personally if he come back after Christmas like last year then it will be like new January signing.
Best wishes Sam and hope to see you playing soon.

burtiew

Bearing in mind the effect he has on our defence, is there any (sensible) update, i.e other than 3 weeks, as to whether or when we might see Sam again?

Memphis09

Bearing in mind the effect he has on our defence, is there any (sensible) update, i.e other than 3 weeks, as to whether or when we might see Sam again?
I honestly don’t think we will
Such a shame very good player and leader

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think GC said about three weeks ago that he was back training on grass.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes, and my optimistic hopes are reinforced by the stat that until the end of August - with Stubbs playing - we conceded only 5 goals in a total of 8 games. Defensive form like that would have us challenging for promotion.

GC did utter optimistic words - as SRJ records - but I was hoping for news of him training with the group (and thus one step closer) by now.

Last season he was out throughout the whole of the autumn before a transformative return at the start of January, fuelling the promotion push. Oh, for another Sam Stubbs return like that!