• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time for a new train line through the south west - train related news

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
MNs were not permitted west of Exeter on Southern lines. They were removed at Central and then sent to Exmouth Junction sheds for servicing, coaling and finally turning. As they would always be departing eastwards, photographs of them after disposal on the shed inevitably face that way. The unrebuilt light pacifics ("Spam cans")worked on all main lines west of Exeter, but once rebuilt were restricted to just the Plymouth Line, again due to axle loadings. It applied to other Southern locomotive classes as well. For example when they introduced their Lord Nelson Class they wished to display an example at Devonport during Royal Navy Week. To get it there and back, it had to travel via the GWR main line from Exeter St David's to Plymouth.
Did the Merchant Navies go West of Exeter before they were rebuilt Mr Ballz ?

geoffwp

Blimey lads, you all speak in tongues. Did you all collect train numbers down at St David's back in the day??? 😄

Colesman Ballz

More to do with the overall construction of the line not permitting such a heavy engine.
Does your "User name" reflect an admiration for the magnificent "T9" class perchance ? (y)

Colesman Ballz

Did the Merchant Navies go West of Exeter before they were rebuilt Mr Ballz ?
No they were always too heavy.

Alistair20000

No they were always too heavy.
I am obliged.

Loved the MN’s me.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Does your "User name" reflect an admiration for the magnificent "T9" class perchance ? (y)
I remember Exewebber 34001 once asking me the same question, years ago!

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Loved the MN’s me.
Pinhoe Station was a good place to watch them thundering by.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Did you all collect train numbers down at St David's back in the day??? 😄
Part of a mis-spent youth, Geoff! :)

Grecian2K

There were special working instructions too. They were not allowed to depart St David's unless they had a clear road signalled all the way up and into the middle road at Central too ! They simply wouldn't have been able to restart again if stopped midway up that incline.
I believe that they also weren't allowed to depart Central unless there was a clear run through into Plats 3 & 4 (the old "Southern" ones prior to the 1980s remodelling of ESD) in case they "ran away" down the bank.
Incidentally PC Rail do a Exeter Central signalling simulator, covering the main lines plus the Exmouth and Budleigh Branches, set in the steam days. It's quite challenging keeping on top of all of the simultaneous movements once things get a bit busy, but quite engrossing. The program is a little pricey (about £30) but you can download a demo version to try out which covers the first few hours of a timetable to get a flavour of it for free.

Alistair20000

Pinhoe Station was a good place to watch them thundering by.
Did not live down here in those days. :(