• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Scapegoat XI

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Russell & Lewis quoted in 'The Guardian' on 17th October 2002 :

"McNab is the right man for the job. Both Neil and Gary come with the highest recommendations. When we mention their names to other managers in the game we got massively positive feedback. What we like best about both of them is that they are both hungry and will live and eat Exeter City".
Fair description of R & L themselves.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
But that's exactly my point, and why he's an example of a scapegoat. Kellow was sold, and the cash was used first of all to sign Pearson (he even wore the same number shirt).

This match report gives a flavour of how he was regarded at first. Not the role he took on as the team developed, ironically when Kellow returned.

The Grecian Archive - Match 23 18th November 1978 Chester City (Home) And in the Western League Saltash (away) (exeter.ac.uk)
Now I know I was only a little tacker when Pearson arrived but I can't say as in all the years since I have ever been called a striker or called into comparison with Kells. The money thing I get but the rest of it..............

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Was going to mention this period too. Basically anyone up front was criticised for not being Tony Kellow.

Ian Pearson was certainly signed as a striker - I think he had played as such for Millwall - but didn't shine in that role for us.

From what I remember Keith Bowker also got some stick around that time. Though I may be thinking of his earlier spell with us. I think Bowker might certainly be classed as a scapegoat at times during his spells with us. Objectively he had a very respectable scoring record but tended to be overshadowed by others of that era.

But is always difficult to distinguish between actual scapegoats and the players who just didn't do very well for us, as we've had so many players of the latter type.
Very underrated wad Bowker.

JamieEcfc

Probably go for Danny Seaborne over Danny Coles,
Taking inspiration from the Aimson thread, I reckon we could put out a pretty decent scapegoat XI.

Here's a few for starters:

GK Paul Jones
DR Steve Tully
DC Will Aimson
DC Danny Coles
DL Craig Woodman
MR ?
CM Lloyd James
CM Bertie Cozic
ML ?
CF Clinton Morrison
CF James Scott

Lolling to myself at the thought of a Clinton/James Scott frontline.
Ryan Harley and Danny Seaborne certainly need to be added

Paul Jones

Steve Tully
Will Aimson
Danny Seaborne
Craig Woodman

Tom Carroll
Lloyd James
Ryan Harley

James Scott
John O’Flynn
Marcus Stewart

Find that generally speaking slower players tend to get the most stick, you could probably add Jordan Tilson and Scot Bennett to the list too, although I personally didn’t rate them too highly some would make them out to be completely hopeless

Last edited: