• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New Steve Perryman book

Gilbert

Steve Perryman seems to split opinion between those who think he is a good guy and those who think not so much. To be honest, I think he is in the main a decent, principled fella... however in the longer run, his involvement in the club was in my humble opinion counterproductive and unhelpful to the Trust's ownership model. Whereas there is no doubt that he enjoyed an incredible playing career and had a wealth of experience in 'the game', this often lead him to conclude that those who did not share his experience (or who disagreed with him and his ways of doing things) didn't know what they are talking about.

Therefore, He along with Julian Tagg and the manager, (with the exception of Eamon, God rest his soul and who was firmly of the opinion that 'we were all in this together') most definitely (and I believe quite intentionally) created an 'us and them' mentality between the playing staff and those who were supposedly running the club. In short, the Trust was given to understand that the club could not succeed without them and whatever they needed had to be provided - Tagg presenting himself as the honest broker between the playing side and the Trust. Then in time, when they didn't get their own way, two of them left feeling undervalued and betrayed by the very people whom they thought they had helped so much, given that those people didn't know what they were doing.

Personally, I think in many ways he/they held the evolution of the club back as for years the Trust was almost totally impotent and existed to serve the purposes only of the playing staff... (getting rid of Tisdale was one of the best things to happen). The only one left now is Julian who gets to head up the club as if it were his own, and I do not question his commitment to the club. And, as much as I think it has in some ways been detrimental to the club for the Trust to be so reliant on him (and Perryman and Tisdale with him beforehand), that is not necessarily his fault, but the Trust's which allowed it. Whether you like the way Julian has achieved his goals or not, you cannot argue that under his leadership the club is currently doing well. And as much as I may think the Trust should not have allowed itself to be so reliant on him, Perryman and Tisdale for so long, I guess without Perryman, there is a good chance we would not have arrived at where we are today.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Steve Perryman seems to split opinion between those who think he is a good guy and those who think not so much. To be honest, I think he is in the main a decent, principled fella... however in the longer run, his involvement in the club was in my humble opinion counterproductive and unhelpful to the Trust's ownership model. Whereas there is no doubt that he enjoyed an incredible playing career and had a wealth of experience in 'the game', this often lead him to conclude that those who did not share his experience (or who disagreed with him and his ways of doing things) didn't know what they are talking about.

Therefore, He along with Julian Tagg and the manager, (with the exception of Eamon, God rest his soul and who was firmly of the opinion that 'we were all in this together') most definitely (and I believe quite intentionally) created an 'us and them' mentality between the playing staff and those who were supposedly running the club. In short, the Trust was given to understand that the club could not succeed without them and whatever they needed had to be provided - Tagg presenting himself as the honest broker between the playing side and the Trust. Then in time, when they didn't get their own way, two of them left feeling undervalued and betrayed by the very people whom they thought they had helped so much, given that those people didn't know what they were doing.

Personally, I think in many ways he/they held the evolution of the club back as for years the Trust was almost totally impotent and existed to serve the purposes only of the playing staff... (getting rid of Tisdale was one of the best things to happen). The only one left now is Julian who gets to head up the club as if it were his own, and I do not question his commitment to the club. And, as much as I think it has in some ways been detrimental to the club for the Trust to be so reliant on him (and Perryman and Tisdale with him beforehand), that is not necessarily his fault, but the Trust's which allowed it. Whether you like the way Julian has achieved his goals or not, you cannot argue that under his leadership the club is currently doing well. And as much as I may think the Trust should not have allowed itself to be so reliant on him, Perryman and Tisdale for so long, I guess without Perryman, there is a good chance we would not have arrived at where we are today.
I see this as a pretty succinct and accurate evaluation of where we were - and currently are. I would only take issue with your seemingly overegged assessment of JT's current influence and power. It was once true, but I believe his influence on the way the club operates, particularly off the pitch, has been considerably diluted. He now holds a position which rightly recognises his long and very significant contribution to the club's progress over many years and quite rightly so. His role now is less pivotal but is still significant and both his knowledge and experience are invaluable imo.

Gilbert

I would only take issue with your seemingly overegged assessment of JT's current influence and power. It was once true, but I believe his influence on the way the club operates, particularly off the pitch, has been considerably diluted.

No intention of over egging my assessment of JT's current influence and power, and apologies if it came across that way. Very pleased to learn that he doesn't have any unnecessary influence on the way the club operates... happy to take your word for that. I am however of the opinion that this may not be the case had Perryman remained. Confronting the Tisdale contract issue was crucial in wrestling back power and his departure, and subsequently Perryman's, therefore a good thing. But we will never know what might have been had the three of them not been given far too much influence back in the day. Nevertheless, we are where we are and right now, that's not so bad. Just trying to keep some balance and point out that there is far more to it than whether one thinks he was a nice guy that led the singing in the old grandstand or not. (By the way behind the scenes that nice guy certainly didn't hold back on passing his opinions in no uncertain terms on many Trust stalwarts and City fans).

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
You are @Stuck in Crawley and I claim my £5

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
You are "Stuck in Crawley" (in disguise) and I claim my five quid ! :p

Edit - They say that "Great minds think alike" SRJ ! (y)