• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

International Retirement

wemissmoxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Spot on. Gerrard, Scholes and a holding midfielder in a 3 would have been perfect.
Danny Butterfield ??

Grecian_Jay

Danny Butterfield ??
He could do a job defnitely. I heard Hodgson say if only he had 3 Scot Bennetts...

Leads

I don't like it but I can understand Gerrard and Lampard doing it at their age. What I don't get is Mertesacker/Lahm retiring at 29/30, surely you would want to continue, especially when Germany are doing so well.

wemissmoxey

I don't like it but I can understand Gerrard and Lampard doing it at their age. What I don't get is Mertesacker/Lahm retiring at 29/30, surely you would want to continue, especially when Germany are doing so well.
I'm amazed they are so young.

Good time to go out though, doesn't get much better than winning the world cup, also the breaks they will get could prolong their club careers, plus they will have more time for family etc, I can certainly understand their thought process.

Last edited:

Grecian_In_Exile

Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th
I still think one of the biggest mistakes England (well, The Sun and its devoted followers who pick the England team) made was to dump Scholes for Lampard. Scholes was inifinitely better.
The Scum has a lot to answer for, Murdochs puppets who read it, even believed that the Nasty Party were now nice, and would not lie about anything!! (tmi)

tagz

I can see why Mertesacker has retired now; he has retired on the biggest high you can (world champions) and he has a large lack of pace even though he is still in his 20's but I did think he would go on until the Euro's.

Scholes was a wasted talent for England due to the managers playing 2 almost identical players in central midfield. When will be the next time we see someone of the same quality and style of play as Paul Scholes? I don't think it will be for the next 10 years and if we do have someone similar we will end up overrating him too early and putting him in the England team too young (look at Jack Wilshere as an example).