• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Aston Villa vs Exeter U23s Premier League Cup

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
If it was anything like the first game at the park, the difference is competitive experience. Villa had skilful players and a play your way out in all situations philosophy. Ours boys were sharper and more competitive from playing on loan or first team and then you added in their skills as well. With Lewis Wilson now out on loan, all our players in the starting line up today has played competitive first team football this season apart from Lee Holmes!

IndoMike

I hate to be materialistic at this time, but is there any prize money for this?

IndoMike

I'm afraid the Big Boys will have a designated coach for each Exeter City match from now on.
SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT THE BIG BOYS NICKING ACADEMY PLAYERS FROM SMALLER CLUBS!!

Spoonz Red E

No prize money that I know of - it's more to do with the development of young players.
(You could argue that the Premier League could have beefed up this competion in its own right instead of muscling in on the EFL trophy).

Incidentally Villa, who we beat today, won the competition the season before last.

IndoMike

Hi

No prize money that I know of - it's more to do with the development of young players.
(You could argue that the Premier League could have beefed up this competion in its own right instead of muscling in on the EFL trophy).

Incidentally Villa, who we beat today, won the competition the season before last.
Well, we need prize money to help with the development of players.
Seems to me it's another shop window for the PL to stare longingly into. Clubs will take even more interest in our players after a result like this.
So whilst it's nice that our academy becomes very respected, that doesn't pay the bills.
The FA has to sort this out, but if no pressure can be applied then there's a fat chance that they will.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster

Villa match report at last.

exeter-loyal

Great result, this youth team is the way forward in my eyes. Bleedy excellent!!

Oldsmobile-88

If it was anything like the first game at the park, the difference is competitive experience. Villa had skilful players and a play your way out in all situations philosophy. Ours boys were sharper and more competitive from playing on loan or first team and then you added in their skills as well. With Lewis Wilson now out on loan, all our players in the starting line up today has played competitive first team football this season apart from Lee Holmes!
Exactly.
You can never replicate playing in a competitive league,be it L2,NL,Southen League.
I thought the same when we played the West Ham U23 side.

denzel

You really have to worry if the Villa lads dont consider this to be competitive football. OK, it was played mid afternoon on their training pitch, but if you go with the mindset that such games dont matter there really is no future for you in football.