• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

St James' Morgue

philexe

Why is it so often that what should be our fortress is so similar to a mortuary? It is a catch 22. When the team are not in top gear the crowd generally goes very quiet but this ironically is the crucial time we should be urging the team to do better and getting behind them. If only we could recreate the atmosphere of some of the away days. Charlton last week was a fantastic atmosphere with loads of noise coming from the away end. This was despite losing and never being in front!!

How can we create that away day atmosphere at SJP ?? It seems to have to take a period of poor play and then a goal to get the fans going.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It sounded absolutely pathetic on the radio on Saturday. Normally you can just about hear a distant din, Saturday you could hear a pin drop.

Borat

I think because the fans make an effort to go to away games, money and travelling so want to add something to the game and show pride in ecfc away from home.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
There is certainly that - the thought of turning up at some godforsaken hell-hole many miles from home and showing "Grecian pride".

Fewer moaners too, I expect - although this advantage diminishes somewhat the larger the away following, I tend to find.

Gozzer

Very well known Exeweb poster
Don't get SJP mixed up with Plainmorgue!

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought the atmosphere was nice on Saturday. I know many of us aspire to something a bit more fiery than 'nice' for our SJP, but there was some singing, a bit of abuse aimed at the oppo scorer/keeper and plenty of encouraging our bauys, so we're doing the basics.

(One of our lads was in the toilet when they scored the first, and he only knew there'd been a goal when he heard the Bank singing 'W**ker, w**ker...')

By all means do whatever you can to boost the SJP matchday atmos, but let's not beat ourselves up about it.

izzer buddy

Theres no better place than city when the crowd is in full swing and edging the players on. Tend to agree sometimes the crowd does give a weird silence at the park. Love the chant "Come on city Come on city" and the whole place lights up. Must help the players as well. I remember speaking to one after an away game last season and he said the away fans support and noise is always fantastic and is the differnce when playing away. I have noticed too the players always make an effort to come over to us travelling fans to thanks us for the effort win or lose.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Wonder how long before this gets used against us on Banter Base?

Big Ted

Didn't think the atmosphere was that bad on Saturday - of course it's been better but it was blowing a gale and the crowd were frustrated for most of the first half with all the passes going awry.

It don't think there are any football clubs where - man for man - the home support is as loud as the away support.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Wonder how long before this gets used against us on Banter Base?
Didn't take long

http://www.exeweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34671