• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Update on the SJP works

dontpassback

Thanks to the three of you for your helpful responses. Regards the demolition Pete any idea how long it takes for the basic structure to be taken down? Just thinking once we get to Autumn the pitch with heavy machinery across it doesn't seem like a great idea?
They may well use long reach demo excavators(like the one used at the Clarence)and I believe wring demolition was the contractor for that job.i maybe wrong but I don't think you will see any plant or equipment on the hallowed turf .

Saint James

They may well use long reach demo excavators(like the one used at the Clarence)and I believe wring demolition was the contractor for that job.i maybe wrong but I don't think you will see any plant or equipment on the hallowed turf .
Thanks for the insight - I'll look forward to seeing that in action - I assume the away end will have the Machinery during the duration of the work. I'm wondering how they will have enough access from Well St when they need to start taking away the demolition spoil and equally to start the rebuilding?

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thanks for the insight - I'll look forward to seeing that in action - I assume the away end will have the Machinery during the duration of the work. I'm wondering how they will have enough access from Well St when they need to start taking away the demolition spoil and equally to start the rebuilding?
Well at least unlike Mowlems they will be unable to cut down on their landfill costs by burying it under the BB, thereby effectively ruling out any future use of the space.

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

Thanks to the three of you for your helpful responses. Regards the demolition Pete any idea how long it takes for the basic structure to be taken down? Just thinking once we get to Autumn the pitch with heavy machinery across it doesn't seem like a great idea?
I reckon about ten seconds - hit the corner with a sledgehammer and it'll probably fold like a pack of cards.

Grecian2K

And I reckon if they tried to trundle that kind of kit onto the pitch it would rapidly become the hollowed turf :(

Colesman Ballz

The asbestos removal could take a while. It has to be done by licenced contractors, and entails careful removal piece by piece, and bagging in sealed sacks. In addition to the roofing sheets, I believe there may also be asbestos used in the fireproofing of the steel structure.

iscalad

The asbestos removal could take a while. It has to be done by licenced contractors, and entails careful removal piece by piece, and bagging in sealed sacks. In addition to the roofing sheets, I believe there may also be asbestos used in the fireproofing of the steel structure.
I had to have asbestos removed from my kitchen after it got flooded. Absolute nightmare of a job.

Antony Moxey

And I reckon if they tried to trundle that kind of kit onto the pitch it would rapidly become the hollowed turf :(
Why? Sports stadia around the world regularly have heavy machinery trundling over their hallowed turf without much fuss. I'd imagine all you'd need is a decent protective matting and job's a good 'un.

Saint James

It doesn't sound like it will be a quick job then and not a case of heavy duty equipment banging it down in a few days :)

Colesman Ballz

It doesn't sound like it will be a quick job then and not a case of heavy duty equipment banging it down in a few days :)
Yep, white protective suits, breathing masks - the whole nine yards ! No doubt Pate might be unhappy that it won't involve heavy equipment and Tis having to lie in front of bulldozers etc, to prevent them encroaching on his pitch ! ;)