• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

International relations thread

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
US finally approve $61bn aid package to Ukraine.

angelic upstart

US finally approve $61bn aid package to Ukraine.
If I was a US taxpayer, I'd be livid at the amount of aid that all US govts chuck about whilst simultaneously not bothering about the people that pay those dollars by not bothering to sort out decent medical aid if I'm ill. Not forgetting that I've barely any workers rights.

angelic upstart

As an aside, was very interesting watching Tucker Carlson talking about Mike Pompeo. He really didn't hold back.

Phil Sayers

If I was a US taxpayer, I'd be livid at the amount of aid that all US govts chuck about whilst simultaneously not bothering about the people that pay those dollars by not bothering to sort out decent medical aid if I'm ill. Not forgetting that I've barely any workers rights.
Would you also accept that US disengagement from the World would likely cost you more as a US tax-payer in the medium and long-term than the sum being spent now (80% of which is going to US companies)?

Radio Free Skaro

All a total farce but hopefully resolved as of Saturday - it is fairly likely that none of the proposed amendments will pass while the main draft bill will comfortably pass with Democrat support. What I am not sure of (Spoonz may know?) is whether the Senate then themselves need another round of voting on the House proposals and, if that results in any alterations at all, whether that then sends it back to the House for a further vote on the Senate amendments. If so, that would allow umpteen further obstructionism but it may be that the Senate just approve the House proposal unaltered so as to avoid that scenario.

The real farce is that someone like this can be elected, and then re-elected, to Congress:

Marjorie Taylor Greene - Wikipedia

I appreciate it is a wikipedia article but if it is even half accurate then it is really beyond belief. She probably should really be checked for rabies.
She's pals with Katie Hopkins, - says all you need to know!

DB9

If the US want to be considered a world power and have influence in various parts of the world so they can get good deals for their population then that has responsibilities imo and if that means giving aid packages then so be it.

angelic upstart

Would you also accept that US disengagement from the World would likely cost you more as a US tax-payer in the medium and long-term than the sum being spent now (80% of which is going to US companies)?
As a US citizen I can recognise, that the US acting as the world's "police" is beneficial. But I can simultaneously be annoyed that as a US citizen I'd be livid that I'd have to pay for the hip replacement I needed after working in a manual job all my life paying for that pleasure. I'd also be irked that the company I worked for made me work 10 hours a day, six days a week for 40 years with little to no paid time off, and this was how I was repaid for it.

For clarity, I'm not a US citizen. :)

angelic upstart

If the US want to be considered a world power and have influence in various parts of the world so they can get good deals for their population then that has responsibilities imo and if that means giving aid packages then so be it.
The US would be considered a world power regardless of them chucking money at the Ukraine.

Phil Sayers

The US would be considered a world power regardless of them chucking money at the Ukraine.
They would but they would become world power rather than superpower playing global conductor. If they don't try to maintain the pre-eminent position, things like China invading Taiwan become more likely and, if that happens, net pay of the US taxpayer will go a long way down over time from what it will otherwise be.

angelic upstart

They would but they would become world power rather than superpower playing global conductor. If they don't try to maintain the pre-eminent position, things like China invading Taiwan become more likely and, if that happens, net pay of the US taxpayer will go a long way down over time from what it will otherwise be.
The difficulty with this is that (in my pretend US citizen head) I see my country 25 trillion in debt, a figure that's pretty much doubled in 25 years and all the US has to show for this is a pile of failed (I'll not say lost) wars and a large chunk of the other superpowers gaining ground on us annually. Yet, here the US are, throwing round the best part of 100 billion (which isn't small change even in the USA) to Israel and Ukraine for wars that will very likely never affect the average American, nor will they improve the USA's global standing overall.