• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

More changes to the FA Cup

Stelios

The 'too many games' argument is spurious.

It's not as if every game ends in a replay even with replays as an option.
Most top flight clubs won't have any.
Some may have one along the way.
Rarely there might be two.
Very rarely there might be three.

And that's supposed to be the threat to player's health as mentioned by Arteta?

It would be interesting to see the real numbers in terms of actual extra games played per club.
And many already play weakened sides in the 3rd round anyway. Even Prem teams who are 'safe' from relegation

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
stop the Prem teams playing in the FA cup,make the Comp for EFL and below only! still will be big sides left from the Championship....give the winners a place in the Europa cup (even if its not a championship side that wins)
More a case for the EFL Cup to be EFL only in my view. Would result in more varied names on the cup, and as we saw with Middlesbrough, top Championship sides are still an attractive fixture for the lower league clubs. At the top level there is the danger of burnout and saturation - how many European leagues have a second knockout cup competition ? Then there's the knockon efffect on international tournaments, it's all too much currently, something has to give.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I believe we have an almost moral responsibility as a EFL club to support and stand in solidarity with non league clubs before it's too late to save this competition. The money in getting to the 1st round alone is a life saver for any club below us in the pyramid. The loss of replays stops the dream dead in the tracks potentially for the magic of the cup. We can't bleat on the one hand about the unfairness of how the top clubs poach our young players for a pittance and yet allow something tacitly to happen which ends up ripping off clubs right down to the lowest levels of the game.

I would expect our Trust to be in discussions with Oxford about exactly what and how we can co-ordinate a show of joint action/protest at our last game of the season. Even better if our board call an emergency EFL meeting to show how all EFL clubs will show joint solidarity in the last round of fixtures.

iscalad

Pete Martin (CTID)

I would support that personally.
So would I. 100%.
An old fart I may be, but how I remember the magic of FA cup games in the 1960s/70s/80s. They were often a big part of my season back then, replays included. Think Man U at SJP in January 1969. No weakened team that day, all the big names appeared, Best, Charlton, Stepney, Stiles et. al. OK, there was no replay that day, but imagine if there had been.

Of course, as time passes and younger supporters come along, they don't have those memories. They are conditioned to the diminution of the competition, seeing only how it is today. Consequently they will be more indifferent to the changes. Not their fault, but their loss in my opinion.

We need to oppose this move and fight together. We will probably not get any concessions, but we can give them a bloody good run for their money.

Alistair20000

The solution is for certain teams to stop being greedy fuckfaces
1713614057829.png

Radio Free Skaro

I believe we have an almost moral responsibility as a EFL club to support and stand in solidarity with non league clubs before it's too late to save this competition. The money in getting to the 1st round alone is a life saver for any club below us in the pyramid. The loss of replays stops the dream dead in the tracks potentially for the magic of the cup. We can't bleat on the one hand about the unfairness of how the top clubs poach our young players for a pittance and yet allow something tacitly to happen which ends up ripping off clubs right down to the lowest levels of the game.

I would expect our Trust to be in discussions with Oxford about exactly what and how we can co-ordinate a show of joint action/protest at our last game of the season. Even better if our board call an emergency EFL meeting to show how all EFL clubs will show joint solidarity in the last round of fixtures.
Agree 1000% the most effective way of achieving change is for Exeter City and other clubs to boycott the FA Cup . I can't really see anything else working.

andrew p long

T'would be good to link the 'ECFC survived in 2005 because of the Man Utd replay' with the 'and we kept our academy that in 2007 enrolled an 11 year old Ollie Watkins - who spent 10 years at ECFC''.

As Reading pointed out 'no Exeter, no Ollie Watkins'. 'No FACup replays, no Ollie Watkins' Even if they don't realise it, the Premiership need clubs like ours.

haka

Agree with much of what has been said on this, it's a terrible idea and for no good reason at all.

One other aspect that the Big Clubs can't even understand is the old tradition of being in the draw, after a draw (if you see what I mean). Because of a replay City were in the semi-final draw in 1931, which is one of those things about the club that you learn as a kid and remember. A few Exewebbers might remember it first hand ... ? ;)

We were "in the draw" to play Arsenal, before the Wolves replay in 1978. That might not seem important but as a young fan it was exciting, even if we weren't likely to get past Wolves. And the FA Cup run in 1981 was also about looking forward to Newcastle if we beat Leicester, then Spurs if we beat Newcastle, in those replays.

Anticipation, imagination ... all part of the fun. Thrown away by suits with no soul.

denzel

Agree with much of what has been said on this, it's a terrible idea and for no good reason at all.

One other aspect that the Big Clubs can't even understand is the old tradition of being in the draw, after a draw (if you see what I mean). Because of a replay City were in the semi-final draw in 1931, which is one of those things about the club that you learn as a kid and remember. A few Exewebbers might remember it first hand ... ? ;)

We were "in the draw" to play Arsenal, before the Wolves replay in 1978. That might not seem important but as a young fan it was exciting, even if we weren't likely to get past Wolves. And the FA Cup run in 1981 was also about looking forward to Newcastle if we beat Leicester, then Spurs if we beat Newcastle, in those replays.

Anticipation, imagination ... all part of the fun. Thrown away by suits with no soul.
And in the draw to play Middlesbrough in 2005. I still have the ticket..