• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
My colours were nailed to the mast at the tail end of 2023. Not only was it 3 points in 103 days, it’s was turgid, safety first, bilge.

I said then, and I’ll say now, someone was responsible for the September window closing with only Shipwreck left on our books as a (injured) first team ready striker. That absolutely killed our season. What we should be asking now, is still the same… who was responsible, why did it happen, and who is taking the fall for it?

Had we won only 4 games in that three month period (1.33333 wins a month, ffs), we’d be on the fringes of a playoff campaign, and in really good form.

Gary deserves the plaudits for turning it around, even if I haven’t always enjoyed the style, but someone has cost us dearly, and been allowed to get away with it.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I said then, and I’ll say now, someone was responsible for the September window closing with only Shipwreck left on our books as a (injured) first team ready striker. That absolutely killed our season. What we should be asking now, is still the same… who was responsible, why did it happen, and who is taking the fall for it?

Had we won only 4 games in that three month period (1.33333 wins a month, ffs), we’d be on the fringes of a playoff campaign, and in really good form.
I mean that is a really fair point actually

arthur

....and had we spaced out those defeats over the course of the whole season there would have been a number of "bad days at the office" and lots of grumbles about inconsistency, but we'd still be on course for doing better than last season and looking with hope to the next. That would have been frustrating, boring and meh to be honest - the actuality has been far more dramatic and exciting :cool:

Grecian Max

....and had we spaced out those defeats over the course of the whole season there would have been a number of "bad days at the office" and lots of grumbles about inconsistency, but we'd still be on course for doing better than last season and looking with hope to the next. That would have been frustrating, boring and meh to be honest - the actuality has been far more dramatic and exciting :cool:
It’s funny as I wouldn’t call any of it dramatic and exciting; most of the games have either gone for us by a goal or two or against us by a goal or two, the latter with a bit more head dropping and bitching between the players 😂

Agree about hope for next season though

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
I also don’t think Sonny has got enough plaudits for the difference he’s made since returning from Yeovil. I know he’s not blown anyone away, but he’s been absolutely vital.

STURTZ

My colours were nailed to the mast at the tail end of 2023. Not only was it 3 points in 103 days, it’s was turgid, safety first, bilge.

Gary deserves the plaudits for turning it around, even if I haven’t always enjoyed the style, but someone has cost us dearly, and been allowed to get away with it.
So the man who was going to take us down is now being accused of failing to take us up?

Give the bloke a break!

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
So the man who was going to take us down is now being accused of failing to take us up?

Give the bloke a break!
Yes, that’s absolutely what I just said. 🙄🤣

Antony Moxey

So if he stays for another 10 years, we finish top half of league 1 each year, maybe get into the play offs occasionally, maybe a visit to Wembley or two, full houses every week, and we have decent cup runs every year, he won’t be our best manager ever because we haven’t won anything? That’s your only determining factor?
Nice whatifery. Yes, he needs to defeat invading aliens too. Keeping us in L1 for three season is enough to be considered one of our greatest managers ever? Really? Putting it back to you would you consider surviving by goal difference enough to make him one of the greatest? There’s got to be more than just survival.

Grecian Max

It’s been a rollercoaster season

IMG_5650.jpeg

Grecian Max

Yes, that’s absolutely what I just said. 🙄🤣
It’s impressive skim reading for sure