• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nicely put Mr Kipling and your post rhymes as well.
Like your cakes too….

Grecian Max

Come on Max, I was agreeing you 🙂.
It's the faintest of agreements but I'll take it 😂

fred binneys head

Do you think a team has a better chance of scoring when they a) have the ball, or b) don't have the ball?
Do you think a team has a better chance of scoring when a) they have the ball in their defensive third of the pitch or b) when the opposition has the ball in their own defensive third of the pitch?

I’m all for possession based football if it’s purposeful and leads to opportunities, but the defenders and keeper playing keep ball for half the game is what frustrates people.

Grecian Max

Ha ha! You're one of these people that can dish it out but can't take it aren't you? :D

View attachment 15174
Literally posted I was wrong three or four times now hahaha

What more can you say really! Humility isn't a word you'd understand

You add zero to any debate, just another farting old man on the Bank drifting in the wind

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Do you think a team has a better chance of scoring when they a) have the ball, or b) don't have the ball?
You're asking a silly question, because to that question the answer is obviously A (Unless you where Cheltenham at the start of the season obviously)

The point I am making, ultimately what you do with your possession is what matters (I Would rather watch a really effective side with 40% possession than a poor side with 60%), I would expect to see sides towards the top of the league with more possession, They have the best players and thus will see more of the ball, in the same way the lower sides you'd expect to see with less of the ball. You cannot argue we are an effective side with possession, it is not an argument to win, but if all of a sudden we had a squad of Ipswich's quality from last season, then possession but also effectiveness would go up significantly wouldn't it. The issue this season is despite our very good possession stats, we haven't converted that into chances / goals and more effective and in turn entertaining football.

Does anyone have the possession stats for last season ? Would be good to compare that to this.

Last edited:

Grecian Max

Do you think a team has a better chance of scoring when a) they have the ball in their defensive third of the pitch or b) when the opposition has the ball in their own defensive third of the pitch?

I’m all for possession based football if it’s purposeful and leads to opportunities, but the defenders and keeper playing keep ball for half the game is what frustrates people.
This, a thousand times

Boyo

I'd like to see that too!

The point I was making was around us being 5th; the top 3 teams - the very best - will dominate the ball regardless as they have the best players, it's the in between that's more interesting

Likewise, the very worse teams won't see much of the ball
1712151142018.png
There appears to be a correlation between possession and points accumulation (taking into account Reading's and Wigan's point deduction) and bearing in mind some teams have games in hand etc.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Has Alli been signed to develop into that Nombe role?
Nombe never really seemed to fit with what GC wants from his number 9 - Nombe said so himself in a couple of interviews, one of which is here

Hopefully GC can get Alli playing the way he wants.

Banksy

Nombe never really seemed to fit with what GC wants from his number 9 - Nombe said so himself in a couple of interviews, one of which is here

Hopefully GC can get Alli playing the way he wants.
What’s that , not scoring?

Grecian Max

View attachment 15175
There appears to be a correlation between possession and points accumulation (taking into account Reading's and Wigan's point deduction) and bearing in mind some teams have games in hand etc.
Would you say it's fair to say that shows we don't make the most of our possession then?