• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
For one so determinedly grounded in reality, you seem to be letting your personal dogma cloud your response on this one.

You and @tavyred are both very excited about the prospect of reducing corporation tax to entice multi nationals to those shores.

There is already a recruitment crisis amongst businesses (and public sector) in the UK, which is certainly impacting on economic growth.

Whatever your very strong views about ‘lazy feckers’ and comedy uni courses, any new jobs created by an influx of new multi nationals would need filling.

Legal immigration is the obvious solution. Is that a trade off you’d be happy with?
What I would like to know is why as many as 9 million people aged 16-64 are not in work. Are they all Tavys who can retire early and sufficiently comfortably on their pensions ? Too sick to work ? Too idle ?

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
What I would like to know is why as many as 9 million people aged 16-64 are not in work. Are they all Tavys who can retire early and sufficiently comfortably on their pensions ? Too sick to work ? Too idle ?
Thinking about many mum's with kids below school age may be a good start.

As things stand, it's not beneficial to work if you have a kid under school age unless your salary is well north of the median.

Perhaps we should put people off having kids? That should help our demographics....

Grecian2K

It might not have affected your own Ivory (Tebburn) Tower but, as far as I know, state pension age was never 64 (even for men). For decades it was 65 until, a few years ago, it was slipped up to 66.
So why are you excluding the 64-66 demographic in your sweeping statement?
Please at very least try to keep up old boy. 🤪

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
1.6 million students at sixth form/college doing that education thing

Another 1.5 million at university learning how to be your doctor/lawyer/stand up comedian.

Plus mums.

Your 9 million will dwindle very quickly if you get out of your 'lazy nation' mindset.

tavyred

IMG_0184.png

Mid Devon Grecian

1.6 million students at sixth form/college doing that education thing

Another 1.5 million at university learning how to be your doctor/lawyer/stand up comedian.

Plus mums.

Your 9 million will dwindle very quickly if you get out of your 'lazy nation' mindset.
Independently wealthy people must be a significant. A friend of mine retired at 53 as did his wife. They’d had no kids saved hard and were able to retire.

Also cascade of wealth coming down from parents who were beneficiaries of property ownership and gilt edged final salary pensions.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
View attachment 15081
Thanks Tavy.

Need to cure that long term sick, don't we?

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
So what would they live on ?
Foodbanks and wheeling & dealing?

tavyred

Thanks Tavy.

Need to cure that long term sick, don't we?
We do.
Interesting stat within that figure that shows more people in their 20’s are citing illness as a the reason they cannot work than those in their 40’s. Issues around mental health being the driver apparently.

tavyred

Looks like ‘stop the boats’ Sunak could be going into a GE with record levels of cross channel migrants arriving here.
What a Plum! 🙄