• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Radio Free Skaro

Public services and utilities are on their knees. Yet we have the highest tax ever. Worst of both worlds. Rachel Reeves will need to be the best chancellor we've had in decades to find the growth to start to fix even the smallest of problems, and we have multiple crisis's to face...

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
£84.80 plus support towards paying my council tax and housing benefit to pay my rent. So I have £12 a day to spend. This will keep me in booze, fags, sky sports subscription, food, clothing, personal hygiene products, travel costs etc etc.

The life of Riley indeed. Why should I bother to go to work when the state will keep me such luxury? You're quite right Al - there are far too many lazy feckers around who expect the state to support them rather than go to work. Take away their £12 a day - that'll show 'em
You forgot to add the super-fast broadband and top of the range tech gadgets that nowadays are virtually mandatory if you need to make contact with any "official" bodies or support services. :rolleyes:

Grecian2K

It's a 48 hour module with a fairly good reading list.
Stand up comedy is big business nowadays.
Writing, editing and performing skills are transferable.
Given his growing curmudgeonliness as the GE looms I suspect that dear old Al is doing a masters in their special Victor Meldrew module.
On recent form I reckon he's a cert for a MA(Hons) 😜

Mid Devon Grecian

Yep, I’m aware of the professions with an exemption.
On your second point isn’t any shortage of staff to deal with the waiting lists a symptom of the COVID hangover not the cause?
There has been a significant slowdown in the rate of recruits from EU in specific specialities that haven’t been resolved by recruitment from other parts of the world.

Yes, we needed more because of COVID but we’ve ended up with less.

Alistair20000

£84.80 plus support towards paying my council tax and housing benefit to pay my rent. So I have £12 a day to spend. This will keep me in booze, fags, sky sports subscription, food, clothing, personal hygiene products, travel costs etc etc.

The life of Riley indeed. Why should I bother to go to work when the state will keep me such luxury? You're quite right Al - there are far too many lazy feckers around who expect the state to support them rather than go to work. Take away their £12 a day - that'll show 'em
Indeed. The lazy feckers might then get a job.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Public services and utilities are on their knees. Yet we have the highest tax ever. Worst of both worlds. Rachel Reeves will need to be the best chancellor we've had in decades to find the growth to start to fix even the smallest of problems, and we have multiple crisis's to face...
The tax is to service debt. Higher than ever due to the wealth transfer of assets from the state (and working and middle classes) to the super rich.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Indeed. The lazy feckers might then get a job.
I don’t want to put words into Arthur’s mouth, but if they’re determined to be jobless for a £12 day, I expect they’d be determined to be jobless for £0 a day.

Alistair20000

I don’t want to put words into Arthur’s mouth, but if they’re determined to be jobless for a £12 day, I expect they’d be determined to be jobless for £0 a day.
So what would they live on ?

Grecian2K

So what would they live on ?
They'd just go "out on the nick".....or become politicians and/or their cronies. Same thing really.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have never opposed legal immigration if it fills our specific needs that we cannot fill ourselves.

What does not make sense to me is to pay people who could work state benefits and importing people to do the jobs instead.

If you tell me our own people do not have the right skill sets the answer is that we need to develop those skills. A start could be made by getting rid of the preposterous policy of sending too many young people to university to do utterly useless courses.
For one so determinedly grounded in reality, you seem to be letting your personal dogma cloud your response on this one.

You and @tavyred are both very excited about the prospect of reducing corporation tax to entice multi nationals to those shores.

There is already a recruitment crisis amongst businesses (and public sector) in the UK, which is certainly impacting on economic growth.

Whatever your very strong views about ‘lazy feckers’ and comedy uni courses, any new jobs created by an influx of new multi nationals would need filling. The reality at the minute is that they will not be filled by British citizens who are willing and able to work.

Legal immigration is the obvious solution. Is that a trade off you’d be happy with?