• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 227 59.6%
  • Out

Votes: 154 40.4%

• Total voters

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is a league we perennially struggle to compete in, any season where we don’t go down is a satisfactory one. It’s a bleedingly obvious thing to say, but the trick now is for us to start looking at regular top half finishes for multiple seasons instead of our usual effort of getting relegated in fairly short order. A very big ask with our financial constraints IMO.
I don't know how many times I can say this, but financially we are light years ahead of any other time we have been in this league. Have more ambition.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Do you not think our style of football was a means to an end, and was a necessary evil enacted by GC in order for us to stay up?
No. Because it never changed?

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
I still think Johnny Newman had a lot to offer...

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I still think Johnny Newman had a lot to offer...
I remember my dearly departed Dad trying to explain to me why Johnny N sent a free kick straight down Oxford Road near the end of thed game we beat Sheffield Weds when he could have shot and scored - a very early introduction to game management I believe !

Average Joe

View attachment 15011

We have the worst xg V Actual in the league:

"xG vs Actual measures the team's actual goals scored against the expected goals scored. A negative number is bad since the team is scoring less than expected. A positive number means the team is scoring more than expected."

I, like you - have felt our chance creation to be poor.

We tend to not shoot from outside of the area which will skew things as shots from inside the box are given a higher xg rating.
I don't read into forecasts. I mean, if it's wrong why are we looking bad for having the most indifferent actual. Rather then it be our fault, maybe someone predicted wrong.

arthur

fbh massive rear up incoming :ROFLMAO:
Six thousand Exeter fans spent a lot of money travelling to Liverpool on a mid week January evening. That line up treated every last one of them with utter contempt. Unforgivable behaviour by Tisdale...

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Six thousand Exeter fans spent a lot of money travelling to Liverpool on a mid week January evening. That line up treated every last one of them with utter contempt. Unforgivable behaviour by Tisdale...
Think overall, id take almost beating a top 4 prem side and then a damp squib replay with a defensive set up, but maybe I lack ambition.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Think overall, id take almost beating a top 4 prem side and then a damp squib replay with a defensive set up, but maybe I lack ambition.
It was the fact that our youngsters, Nichols, Wheeler etc, who had played so well in the first game and had earned the replay were dropped to the bench, whilst the old timers were brought in and were completely over run. Butterfield played centre midfield FFS. The old cretin shouldn't have even been on the coach to Anfield.

I understood Tisdales thought process. Play experienced players like Clinton and Oakley who had played at Anfield before and wouldn't be overawed by the occasion, keep it close, and bring on the younger lads for the last 20 mins to try and win the game. Boy did it fail. We didn't get out our own half for 60 minutes.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Phile, sceptic or phobe? Most of us are fluid when it comes to managers. With regard to Tisdale, I transitioned from phile ( Conference to Hillsborough inclusive), through sceptic (league 1 relegation with a whimper) to full on phobe (Anfield team selection).

There do remain those who never shift - Elgin, MJP and Geoff remained loyal to Tisdale to the end, Dommers always hated Taylor and, it seems, MJP will never remotely like Caldwell.

Any other non waverers like to identify themselves - any manager, any persuasion?
You couldn't fault tisdales first few years at the club. Unfortunately he stayed too long and it was sad the way things soured at the end. He deserved a good send off, which sadly was never going to happen.

Taylor is my favourite city manager of all time, and I doubt that will ever change. I liked him as a manager and a person, and like others have said, he was the right appointment at the right time.

I backed Caldwell for quite a while, up until the dire run of the last few months of last year and would have had no qualms if he'd got sacked after fleetwood and Bolton. His style of football has been dull but that looks to be changing recently. Again I genuinely like him as a person. Hopefully we can finish the season on a high and push on next season.

tavyred

I don't know how many times I can say this, but financially we are light years ahead of any other time we have been in this league. Have more ambition.
We’re not competing against ourselves 10 years ago, we’re up against clubs today most of whom have the ability to generate more cash than we do.
In football ambition has to be backed up with hard cash for it to be realised.