• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ilmari Niskanen (Welcome)

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
During our terrible run both Dion and Ilmari were out injured and Caldwell was playing Kite at RWB , both good imo but for very Different reasons
Odd take.

Niskanen played the second half at Fleetwood. Lost 3-0.

Niskanen started:
At Bolton. Lost 7-0.
At home to Shrewsbury. 0-0 bore-fest.
At home to Port Vale. Lost 1-0.
At Stevenage. Drew 1-1.
At Cambridge. Lost 2-0.

Obviously, these poor results aren't all attributable to Niskanen. But the poor results that came equally can't be attributed to his absence.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Odd take.

Niskanen played the second half at Fleetwood. Lost 3-0.

Niskanen started:
At Bolton. Lost 7-0.
At home to Shrewsbury. 0-0 bore-fest.
At home to Port Vale. Lost 1-0.
At Stevenage. Drew 1-1.
At Cambridge. Lost 2-0.

Obviously, these poor results aren't all attributable to Niskanen. But the poor results that came equally can't be attributed to his absence.
Not entirely attributed maybe, but the start of our poor run coincided with both our attacking, pacey, right sided players being injured for a lengthy period. Harper quickly followed and just as he came back Demi got injured as well. So whilst it wasn't solely down to Ilmari being injured (and those games listed above were the last knockings of the bad run with both Ilmari and Dion making their returns after a lengthy time out) the combination of missing pace out wide on the right was a real factor.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Obviously, these poor results aren't all attributable to Niskanen. But the poor results that came before equally can't be attributed to his absence.
Added the missing word...

suffolklad

There’s some really strange analogies here showing that because a player is or is not playing in a team that wins or loses is his fault is rubbish it proves nothing.
I stated earlier that Ilmari is now better than Key, he is. Key couldn’t defend to save his life especially in L1. He relied on Sweens behind all the time. This did nothing for Sweens because he was trying to cover 2 positions. Key went startling runs up the pitch but never looked up once, no end result.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I stated earlier that Ilmari is now better than Key, he is. Key couldn’t defend to save his life especially in L1.
We all see the game slightly differently and all opinions are equally valid.

Except this one which is obviously bananas

suffolklad

We all see the game slightly differently and all opinions are equally valid.

Except this one which is obviously bananas
So we all see the game differently , except you and your small band of followers who are always right! Funny that don’t ya think.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Very good signing is pushing it, he’s not had anyway near enough performances to warrant that yet

He has some useful attributes but we don’t need to go overboard on every player City have in their ranks

Good squad player
Even good squad player might be pushing it. He has had 2 excellent games (his first and the most recent) about 5 horrendous games, and the rest bang average. Jury is still out IMO.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Even good squad player might be pushing it. He has had 2 excellent games (his first and the most recent) about 5 horrendous games, and the rest bang average. Jury is still out IMO.
Agreed. Even though I happen to be a big fan of the flying Finn, consistency has to be the benchmark for any first team starter.

Maybe his performances and decisions can be put down to something in the back of his mind: ' will my shoulder pop out again'?
In the summer he needs the op, rather than continue with a patch job.
Regarding the above I had a bad leg break just below the knee in the late 70s and for a couple of seasons after recovery it was there in the back of my mind when I resumed playing.

JGrecian23

There’s some really strange analogies here showing that because a player is or is not playing in a team that wins or loses is his fault is rubbish it proves nothing.
I stated earlier that Ilmari is now better than Key, he is. Key couldn’t defend to save his life especially in L1. He relied on Sweens behind all the time. This did nothing for Sweens because he was trying to cover 2 positions. Key went startling runs up the pitch but never looked up once, no end result.
You don't need to keep repeating it. Niskanen is not better than Key in any form. End of.