• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 227 59.6%
  • Out

Votes: 154 40.4%

• Total voters

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Who was the last manager who was sacked at Exeter? Didn't Paul Tisdale quit before his notice period was up?
Neil McNab in the ill fated 02/03 season. Cornforth was sacked before him in the same season. The Trust have never sacked a manager. So 21 years since City last sacked a manager.

Exehausted

Who was the last manager who was sacked at Exeter? Didn't Paul Tisdale quit before his notice period was up?
He was given notice on his two year roller and was offered another deal which he declined, so not sacked. Gary Peters signed a short deal that wasn't renewed. So I guess, because I can't be bothered to check, the last manager sacked would have been Neil McNab. Prior to that, John Cornforth?
EDIT. Good job I didn't bother looking it up as MJP has confirmed what I thought!

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
He was given notice on his two year roller and was offered another deal which he declined, so not sacked. Gary Peters signed a short deal that wasn't renewed. So I guess, because I can't be bothered to check, the last manager sacked would have been Neil McNab. Prior to that, John Cornforth?
EDIT. Good job I didn't bother looking it up as MJP has confirmed what I thought!
Here to help.

One good thing about it though, the question has only really seriously been asked twice in those 21 years hasn't it, Tisdale around 8-10 years ago and then Caldwell this season. Other than this I cannot remember serious calls for a manager to be removed.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
All correct. Gary Peters claimed to know nothing of what happened that close season when R&L were sent to the big house, and said he wouldn't be returning if John Russell wasn't here as he was the only reason he came here in the first place.

arthur

Here to help.

One good thing about it though, the question has only really seriously been asked twice in those 21 years hasn't it, Tisdale around 8-10 years ago and then Caldwell this season. Other than this I cannot remember serious calls for a manager to be removed.
I kept yelling at Fox to resign. Then we had Blake, and I was too frightened to do the same...

Antony Moxey

Here to help.

Careful, the clappers will be saying that that means we're going down Watford's managerial turnover path...

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I kept yelling at Fox to resign. Then we had Blake, and I was too frightened to do the same...
I would be too.

Grecian Max

Interesting. I find it hard to reconcile that we've what I've seen this season. Doesn't feel to me like our strikers have wasted a load of golden opportunities.
Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 12.34.08.png

We have the worst xg V Actual in the league:

"xG vs Actual measures the team's actual goals scored against the expected goals scored. A negative number is bad since the team is scoring less than expected. A positive number means the team is scoring more than expected."

I, like you - have felt our chance creation to be poor.

We tend to not shoot from outside of the area which will skew things as shots from inside the box are given a higher xg rating.

JamieEcfc

I’m glad we stuck it out with Caldwell, I think the board have a lot to answer for with regards to the striker situation Caldwell was left with after selling Nombe.

I’m anticipating a harder League One next season with a strong set of teams set to come up, teams coming down from the Championship that I assume won’t be facing point deductions.

So I felt with the climate of the league this season we could/should have been up there with your Lincoln and Orient challenging for that last Play off spot but our lack of experienced striker and albeit some bad luck with Demi being out for the season too has prevented that

Antony Moxey

Max, what do all those columns mean please?