• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 227 59.6%
  • Out

Votes: 154 40.4%

• Total voters

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
IF he had been fired not a single person would be missing him right now imho and the vast majority would be saying the club made the right decision.
There is absolutely no evidence for this sweeping statement. You don't know who might have replaced him, how effective they would have been and whether the style of football would have become more attractive to those who complain about Caldwell's.

And if this new man had secured our League 1 status on goal difference on the last day of the season there still might have been some misguided souls who would be saying " if Caldwell had had till after the January window to turn things round, we might be comfortably in mid table by now". That is to say there would have been more than a single person missing him...

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
To be honest, the league position isn't the biggest thing for me (as long as we stay up), I just want to see more entertaining football at SJP.

I'd happily take 15th next season if you said to me we'll score a lot more goals and play quicker.
Wow your avatar has changed! GC will sleep soundly tonight ;)

arthur

Let it go Ant, you went ‘all in’ and you were wrong. The club board admirably held its nerve and have been proven right.
"Let it go" is a Tavy "turns out I'm right " gloat and I have been on the end of several of these over the years :ROFLMAO:

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
There is absolutely no evidence for this sweeping statement. You don't know who might have replaced him, how effective they would have been and whether the style of football would have become more attractive to those who complain about Caldwell's.

And if this new man had secured our League 1 status on goal difference on the last day of the season there still might have been some misguided souls who would be saying " if Caldwell had had till after the January window to turn things round, we might be comfortably in mid table by now". That is to say there would have been more than a single person missing him...
If I change that to vast majority then it is probably a fairer statement than all.

But the point overall is valid, during those 100 days without a league win, the club would have been completely justified in firing him and the vast majority would have backed the decision and also the vast majority wouldn't be looking back at it with sad eyes desperate for him to come back, either irrespective of results or results being the exact same.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
"Let it go" is a Tavy "turns out I'm right " gloat and I have been on the end of several of these over the years :ROFLMAO:
Politics like football, you're right for now. A week / month is a long time in both :LOL:

I am delighted though, we finally look safe and finally can finally begin to put this season behind us and hope for better next season. Like with the upcoming election, we can finally put the Tories behind us for a bit. Hopefully GC can learn a lot of lessons from this season to show improvement for next season (Like scoring a few more goals for a start)

tavyred

Not at all Art, I too wanted GC gone before Xmas. The only difference between me and Ant is I came to the realisation that I was wrong a bit earlier. I’m just disappointed that I didn’t continue with my early support of GC all the way through.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wow your avatar has changed! GC will sleep soundly tonight ;)
I know Gary has been itching for me to change it for weeks.

I'm no longer Caldwell out. Do I like our style of football? No, but we're safe and next season is a clean slate.

tavyred

I know Gary has been itching for me to change it for weeks.

I'm no longer Caldwell out. Do I like our style of football? No, but we're safe and next season is a clean slate.
Do you not think our style of football was a means to an end, and was a necessary evil enacted by GC in order for us to stay up?

fred binneys head

That wasn't the point that I, or (from my interpretation) the original poster, was making at all.

It's easy to be wise after the event. Like I've said previously, you, the board, even Caldwell himself didn't know it would turn around during those dark winter days. The board took (in my opinion) the easy option, which thankfully also turned out to be a good one. It doesn't validate their decision making process or prove that they are untouchable geniuses when it comes to running our football club.
Isn’t that the same for every decision ever made though? In many situations you live and die by the outcome and in this case the board deserve credit. You say ‘it’s easy to be wise after the event’ but they told us throughout that they were backing him because they believed he could turn it round based on what they were seeing day to day and the support they would give him in January.

Everything they predicted has come true, how can you say ‘it’s easy to be wise after the event’ when everything happened as they said it would? Credit to the board on this one.

fred binneys head

IF he had been fired not a single person would be missing him right now
Jon Beer.