• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 227 59.6%
  • Out

Votes: 154 40.4%

• Total voters

Average Joe

We’ve put in a couple of creditable performances of late so well done to Caldwell for that. Still very much Caldwell out, needs to eradicate the doomer runs that have characterised his time with us. For me still hands down most unenjoyable season for many a year across the board.
Interesting.

We have had the best cup run in many years and we're holding our own in league one.

In my opinion I don't think GC gets enough credit for his hard work this season.

It's not been the most entertaining as far as goals scored but then we are playing teams that defend better then we have ever seen before.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well, managers get hired and fired all the time. Are you trying to say that we're the only club on the entire planet that knows how to run a football club because we didn't sack ours during arguably the worst run of results in the club's history?
Let it go Ant, you went ‘all in’ and you were wrong. The club board admirably held its nerve and have been proven right.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
as far as goals scored but then we are playing teams that defend better then we have ever seen before.
I disagree with that statement i, I think league one is lower on quality throughout this season. The top 3 are nowhere near as good as Argyle, Ipswich and Sheff Wed where last season, the next 4 sides are not as good as last season and everyone below that imho is poorer than last season. We have played and lost to some horrendous sides without even pushing an attacking threat on them for huge chunks of the season. I don't think defences are better, if anything I think they're worse, I Just think we have been significantly poorer in the final third of the pitch for the vast majority of the season.

STURTZ

Think I'm right in saying that no team has done a double over us this season as yet.
😃

Think I'm right in saying that no team has done a double over us this season as yet.
😃
Derby County did

tavyred

This is a league we perennially struggle to compete in, any season where we don’t go down is a satisfactory one. It’s a bleedingly obvious thing to say, but the trick now is for us to start looking at regular top half finishes for multiple seasons instead of our usual effort of getting relegated in fairly short order. A very big ask with our financial constraints IMO.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
A lot of people involved deserve a lot of credit for sticking to their guns and resisting the demands coming from many individuals with no idea whatsoever how a football club is run and unable to see any further than their noses.
That wasn't the point that I, or (from my interpretation) the original poster, was making at all.

It's easy to be wise after the event. Like I've said previously, you, the board, even Caldwell himself didn't know it would turn around during those dark winter days. The board took (in my opinion) the easy option, which thankfully also turned out to be a good one. It doesn't validate their decision making process or prove that they are untouchable geniuses when it comes to running our football club.

Average Joe

It's obvious where we have struggled. Not one of our players are even in the top 50 for goals this season and we do not have one player in the top 50 for assists this season. It's shambolic that we did not address the situation in January. We signed two strikers but continue to play Cox upfront on his own.

I'd like to see GC in charge for one more transfer window. If we don't sign a good striker who is capable of scoring 15 goals in a season then we need a manager who has the capability to sign impact players.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is a league we perennially struggle to compete in, any season where we don’t go down is a satisfactory one. It’s a bleedingly obvious thing to say, but the trick now is for us to start looking at regular top half finishes for multiple seasons instead of our usual effort of getting relegated in fairly short order. A very big ask with our financial constraints IMO.
To be honest, the league position isn't the biggest thing for me (as long as we stay up), I just want to see more entertaining football at SJP.

I'd happily take 15th next season if you said to me we'll score a lot more goals and play quicker.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's obvious where we have struggled. Not one of our players are even in the top 50 for goals this season and we do not have one player in the top 50 for assists this season. It's shambolic that we did not address the situation in January. We signed two strikers but continue to play Cox upfront on his own.

I'd like to see GC in charge for one more transfer window. If we don't sign a good striker who is capable of scoring 15 goals in a season then we need a manager who has the capability to sign impact players.
To be fair and as I pointed out when we sold Nombe, we have very rarely in our history been able to sign a 15+ goals a season striker. That's not a problem directly associated with GC.

What is associated with GC is the paucity of chances we create for our strikers under his tactics.