• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 227 59.6%
  • Out

Votes: 154 40.4%

• Total voters

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bloody loved Sam, me. But to get £1.2m for him with only a year left on his contract was a masterstroke by the board.
Incredible business. I was also a big fan but you could see his limitations. Quality League 2 player, very decent L1 but lacks the technical ability to be a Championship player. It's a huge step up these days.

I imagine he will be very good for them next season.

Grecian Max

Assuming GC kicks on, still not a given, and moves on up the chain, we shouldn't underestimate the value of a 'giving managers time' USP.

Managing this club is going to be considered a real opportunity by many, despite the geography. Just have to maintain the recruitment methods and due diligence that has stood us so well for so long now.
As someone who was desperate for GC to be put out his misery in December - I have to say I agree. The patience on this occasion has been justified. I doubt this has gone unnoticed by the industry and should put us in good standing for when we need to get a replacement.

Also been impressed by Caldwell's professionalism when at his lowest ebb - no snapping back at reporters or finding fault in the fans.

There are some holes in the approach still that I hope extended recruitment in the summer will solve - I think it could go either way next season, but up to this point it is a job well done.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I disagree, the club referenced the concern from the fans, we had press releases, fans forums and a video put out by our Trust Chairman explaining their plan, which was to back SGC in the January transfer window, which they did. Throughout, SGC and many players continued to give their weekly interviews where the fans frustrations were frequently referenced.

Other than sacking SGC, what would you expect to have happened as evidence that the fans were being listened to?
Great post.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
As someone who was desperate for GC to be put out his misery in December - I have to say I agree. The patience on this occasion has been justified. I doubt this has gone unnoticed by the industry and should put us in good standing for when we need to get a replacement.

Also been impressed by Caldwell's professionalism when at his lowest ebb - no snapping back at reporters or finding fault in the fans.

There are some holes in the approach still that I hope extended recruitment in the summer will solve - I think it could go either way next season, but up to this point it is a job well done.
and never once hid behind the recruitment is impossible due to geography get out of jail card

scottus86

One more win and I'll change my vote. Credit where it's due, Caldwell has stopped the rot and there's some green roots shooting through now.

It seems like a lot of the squad had to gel and also get used to and understanding the way Caldwell wants to play. I think we're finally seeing some progress, especially with Niskanen, Harper, Cox, and Cole. While we aren't world beaters and our style can be frustrating and boring, if we keep the majority of the squad together, then it bodes well for next season I think

Bat Fastard

We’ve put in a couple of creditable performances of late so well done to Caldwell for that. Still very much Caldwell out, needs to eradicate the doomer runs that have characterised his time with us. For me still hands down most unenjoyable season for many a year across the board.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)

Fair play to you Max for having some honest perspective here.
I have always been wanting to give GC time, but also totally understood why so many wanted him gone. In reality he was fortunate to keep his job with the run of results we were on, but fair play to the board for giving him time when most wouldn't have.
There are certainly still things that need to improve but after the players we lost this summer, to be only 3 points off 11th right now is a positive.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Great post.
A lot of people involved deserve a lot of credit for sticking to their guns and resisting the demands coming from many individuals with no idea whatsoever how a football club is run and unable to see any further than their noses.

Antony Moxey

A lot of people involved deserve a lot of credit for sticking to their guns and resisting the demands coming from many individuals with no idea whatsoever how a football club is run and unable to see any further than their noses.
Well, managers get hired and fired all the time. Are you trying to say that we're the only club on the entire planet that knows how to run a football club because we didn't sack ours during arguably the worst run of results in the club's history?

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
WE didn't win a league game for 100 days and scored the sum total of 4 goals. Calls for Caldwell to be gone where completely justified and fair. If the club had fired him, they would have been completely justified in doing so. IF he had been fired not a single person would be missing him right now imho and the vast majority would be saying the club made the right decision.

The club gambled on the idea that saving the money and investing in the team would be the better strategy, that was by no means guaranteed to work and fair play to the club, they where proven correct in this instance and deserve huge credit and taking the harder option in many ways to stick by GC, but it was one heck of a gamble either way and the club have been proven to have made the correct decision.

As I have said elsewhere the club deserve a lot of credit, GC also deserves credit for turning this around. We still haven't been a great watch during this period, but ultimately the results are all that matter and we have dragged ourselves out of the relegation scrap for now which was the ultimate aim at the start of the season. Still have a lot of reservations around the style, tactical set up etc. but GC following this last 12 game period has dragged himself into probably deserving of another chance next season (I will now reserve judgement (Unless we have another horrendous run between now and the end of the season akin to the 100 days no win period) until early October.

The main issue though now, GC cannot have another horrendous run of form, We have seen the fans within the stadium have been pretty vocal about GC this season. Whether GC's time here is beyond repair will depend on results between now and next October imho. Whilst we look safe he won't go anywhere.