• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Manager

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
We had a cat called Sid - officially "Sidi Qut" (My Lord the Cat).

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
" Untimately to be successful I think you've got to enjoy watching your team play.
Glad I'm not a football manager.

Number13

I started this thread mainly because of a quote from Alex Inglethorpe at the end of his tenure with Exeter City,(though to be fair is was written retrospectively) He wrote:

" Untimately to be successful I think you've got to enjoy watching your team play. I got to the stage where I didn't necessarily feel that. Of course you're proud of the effort and feel great after wins, but I felt like I was starting to learn just through mistakes, which is a dangerous place to be"

I'll just leave that out there.

I'd also not seen this before. Where was it posted?

Wonder why he got to that stage? Cant be staleness as he'd only been with us 18 months

Maybe he always aspired to work at a higher level but not with a first team? I guess you can enjoy watching Spurs and Liverpools much vaunted kids playing pretty stuff without worrying that the centre half is out of contract and has a mortgage land might not get another deal if we lose like with us

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Maybe he always aspired to work at a higher level but not with a first team? I guess you can enjoy watching Spurs and Liverpools much vaunted kids playing pretty stuff without worrying that the centre half is out of contract and has a mortgage land might not get another deal if we lose like with us
Much less stressful.

Some people are just not cut out to be in the hot seat, responsible for everything - preferring to do a senior, responsible and fulfilling 2nd tier job very well but going home after work and sleeping properly. I was one of them.

David Treharne

I'd also not seen this before. Where was it posted?
On the website www.thecoachesvoice.com. I think the article is called 'Lost in translation' The website doesn't appear to be available any more, but I have a print off copy.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Could it be GC is attempting to re-educate a 'pragmatic and hard working' lower league team, into learning a different version of the game, as AI describes in the article ?

It'll take time to develop a possession-based game, playing at speed, with intent and purpose. He could well enjoy watching it should we ever get there, and so might we.

manc grecian

Could it be GC is attempting to re-educate a 'pragmatic and hard working' lower league team, into learning a different version of the game, as AI describes in the article ?

It'll take time to develop a possession-based game, playing at speed, with intent and purpose. He could well enjoy watching it should we ever get there, and so might we.

How long does it take?

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
There is nothing inherently wrong with the type of football GC wants us to play. But we're not playing the way he wants... yet.

From the statements put out before the January window opened it's clear that at board level there were discussions had about the lack of a number nine being the primary reason. To their credit the board accepted their failings and this was addressed.

So the situation is pretty simple isn't it? The only unknown is how much time GC has been given to get us playing the way he wants us to play.

Grecian Max

How long does it take?
It’s doesn’t matter, enjoy the process

manc grecian

I'm having a ball. Every other Saturday I can't wait to watch my rip roaring Exeter City Grecians!

COME ON YOU REDS!