• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
View attachment 14713

View attachment 14714

View attachment 14715

That’s Championship, L1, and L2. Could throw in Lucas Joao but he just spent 6 months in China and Yaya Sanogo who just spent time in (I think) Armenia.
Of that lot, there's only two I'd take and we could probably afford only one of them, Connor Wickham and Dwight Gale and only Wickham is affordable of the two.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well for starters if the Club Board/Trust (not sure the two are that distinguishable these days) clam up and fail to admit they made errors the whole GC blaming gets out of control as he’s the obvious target.

Nick Hawker admitting at the AGM that ‘we’ve been too cautious’, realised we needed a dedicated CFO who lo and behold ‘keeps finding pots of money’ points to the fact the Board/Trust were not across the financial detail.

My hypothesis is that based on three windows GC has had the first (Jan 23) was moderately successful, maybe the Board backed or maybe he was tapping up his main contacts at that point for the easy wins, who knows?

Given what we’ve seen in this January’s window it has an altogether different feel and subject to seeing the results coming in looks on paper to have been the best yet.

That leaves last summer as a real outlier. A poor window, the late sale of Nombe. What went wrong, the manager appears to be able to recruit well in Jan 23 and Jan 24 but not in the more relaxed environment of the summer window.

It’s not commercially sensitive for the Trust to communicate what happened in the past. They owe us an explanation.
I'm not sure what you expect to hear really as all I would expect would be something along the lines of well some windows go well and others don't and our targets fell through or summit. i tried being transparent and honest with with my ex wife. I told her lots but there were always a few things I neglected to mention :LOL:

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster

Quite an interesting behind the scenes look at a transfer incoming and an interesting interview with the sporting director at Cambridge who speaks about why this window has been particularly tricky in terms of bringing players in on permanent deals.

Spoonz Red E

Of that lot, there's only two I'd take and we could probably afford only one of them, Connor Wickham and Dwight Gale and only Wickham is affordable of the two.
If they are free agents isn't the quoted market value out of the way for signing?
It would just be conversations about salary and length of contract.

It'll be interesting to see where they do turn up.

Colesman Ballz

If they are free agents isn't the quoted market value out of the way for signing?

I guess that their agents could still be demanding a "signing on" fee, relative to their past level of experience ? :unsure:

Antony Moxey

Not sure they‘re in much of a position to ‘demand’ anything - it’s their clients that are out of work.

grecIAN Harris

Wages was what I meant with regards affordability.

Trapdoor

Wouldnt even take Wicksham. Complete fraud.

CC

Doidge scores for FGR

Red Monster

Tolaj scored yet again for Aldershot yesterday.
Can’t understand why we didn’t put a decent bid
in ,out of contract in the summer when he’ll
be a free agent and we won’t get him then.