• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 227 59.6%
  • Out

Votes: 154 40.4%

• Total voters

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I just want to see us give it a go, it’s pretty simple. I can take losing (a lot), I’m an Exeter City supporter. I started watching a struggling side in 1995 and I’ll probably die doing the same. I wasn’t raised on relatively successful 70s, the 80s cup run or the of title glory of 1990. I’ve never seen us win a league.

The near enough 4 months of the most dire football was like watching paint dry. The results were also terrible. Not a happy bunny.

I then saw us scrape a couple of wins, in between more losses and bad football. They didn’t give me much hope as it was the same turgid stuff.

Lasr two games have interested me a lot more, moving the ball much quicker in the final third. Less dithering. Players like Aitchison - who a lot of people had written off - finding his feet and loooling to drive into the box. Previously only Yanic would do this for the 30 minutes or so he was in the pitch.

The approach HAS clearly changed in the last two games and gives me something to back. If you want to kid yourself and believe that we have been playing like that the whole time - please go ahead. You’re fooling yourself.

If we play like we have been for 180 minutes, then I’m happy for GC to develop it further. Last season showed some real promise in his approach and technical football - which is why this season has been so disappointing.

Last edited:

Grecianman135

Only valid argument has been the football we've been playing prior to recently with tactics being a little bit questionable,but if we keep up the way we've played against Barnsley and Rovers many fans will be appeased.

As let's be fair at the start of the season a mid table finish and decent football we'd of all taken,and if that's the case and we can get a few more results and have a strong end to the season I like many will be happy.

We're obviously still not out of the woods and I'm still not 100% convinced in what Gary's trying but to be fair he's dealt with the criticism,looks to be adapting his style of play and seems to be learning from mistakes,so long may it continue. 👍

Back to the issues others have stated the ones who really need to be looked at are the board for putting us in this position,the absolute shit communication from the club on almost all matters at the moment,and the conflicting statements from higher end staff members doesn't help..

We need some tough decision makers at the club the village fête committee aren't up to the job when the going gets tough IMO 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Grecian Max

One thing I will say is any sort of hope around form change was on getting forwards in the door. For safety, we still need this.

However, Caldwell deserves a lot of credit for shifting around what he has and finding a more consistent rhythm.

And that’s the thing @arthur - I’ve been praising even the small improvements as we go. If there’s stuff to praise, I say so. Have done the whole way and my posts will back me up.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
We need some tough decision makers at the club the village fête committee aren't up to the job when the going gets tough IMO 🤷‍♂️
Speaking from someone who's wanted Caldwell to go since early November, would you not say that IF he turns the ship around, keeping him in would prove to be a tough decision vindicated?

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Glad to hear it. The icon is a pretty big statement though… do you stand by it? I’m not here to make you eat your words but… we’ve been playing some good football.
It's been 2 good performances. Just like I didn't call for Caldwell to go after only 2 bad results, I'm not going to suddenly change my mind now either and look daft if we go and lose our next 10.

It looks like the tide is turning which is fantastic, but the icon/avatar (whatever it is) is remaining until the end of the season or until we are clearly safe and I'm not leaving SJP bored to tears every time.

If Gary keeps us up I'll treat next season as a clean slate.

elginCity

Maybe the upturn in form is due to the vehement critics galvanising the team and prompting a seige mentality. Its the critics what won it.
Good point, that could well be a galvanising factor. The team were visibly taken aback when a significant number overreacted at Reading, the boos and the abuse, and then to go online to see their manager described as a 'fraud' and more. If you believe in what you're doing, and how you're being led you just battle harder to prove the doubters wrong, and if that's true, then good for them.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Enjoyed GC's flash of humour in his reply to the striker question on his post match interview.

However much I've criticised his management this season, I've always liked the guy as an individual. Delighted to see him smiling again.

Grecian_Matt

Going in the right direction at least.
But 2 good results doesn't counter 3 months of s**t.

yticretexe

We probably need to win 3 out of 4 of Fleetwood, Burton, Shrewsbury and Port Vale whilst picking up a few draws along the way to stay up.

If we scrape safety and play boring Caldwellball or hit a purple patch now and win the next 4 and then lose the next 7 then I’ll remain out.

If we finish comfortably mid table then I’ll put our form down to an unlucky period with injuries and give Gary the benefit of the doubt.

However, I do really struggle to convince myself that as the master tactician he’s touted to be he couldn’t set us up in a way to at least be somewhat competitive and play to the strengths of the players we had available. It’s scary to think we’re always a couple of injuries away from another horror run.

Basically, I don’t know.

denzel

Obviously its been great getting the last few results, but I do wonder why it's taken so long. Did GC struggle finding a way to play since Nombe left? Have we just played poor sides or sides who underestimated us?
Interesting/ exciting times ahead. I suspect Rovers and MT will want revenge next week, and Peterborough won't be a pushover.