• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Pre season training

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
and locally Arnold Mitchell 4, Keith Harvey 5 when we played 4-2-4
Even go to the Championship winning side of 89/90.

Jim McNichol - 4
Shaun Taylor - 5
Clive Whitehead - 6

And that's before you consider number 9 was Brian McDermott on the wing 🙂

City have rarely done traditional numbering.

ryancooper327

Did we start with a 3412 like usual yesterday?

Rosencrantz

Did we start with a 3412 like usual yesterday?
More of a 3-5-2 with Dieng, Billington and Borges in midfield turning into a 4-3-3 with the Youth Team and then to a 3-4-1-2 with Coley playing behind Jevan and MJ to finish.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
As far as I'm concerned the numbers traditionally go like this
1 Keeper
2 Right back
3 Left back
4 centre half
5 centre half
6 right mid/winger
7 centre mid
8 centre mid
9 centre forward
10 centre forward
11 left mid/winger

Rosencrantz

For me the only time you have had traditional numbering is when they first got used and everyone played 2-3-5.

1. Goalkeeper

2. Right Back
3. Left Back

4. Right Half
5. Centre Half
6. Left Half

7. Right Wing
8. Inside Right
9.Centre Forward
10. Inside Left
11. Left Wing

It kind of held when the "WM" formation came in with the Centre Half becoming Centre Back. But as soon as formations started to be switched around in the late 50's and early 60's to flat back fours, traditional numbering started to splinter off depending and be a bit different at different clubs.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
and locally Arnold Mitchell 4, Keith Harvey 5 when we played 4-2-4
We would have lined up I 2 3 5 (the half back line would have been right half number 4, centre half 5, and left half 6) in their playing days. Can not recall us playing 4-2-4 back then.

grecIAN Harris

Other than two, which was always right back, the even numbers have always been a little bit interchangable. 4 and 6 could either be centre half or central midfield and 8 and 10 could either be central midfield or striker (iirc Delvey always wore ten whilst Peter Rogers wore eight in that Cup run).

sign of the chimes

As far as I'm concerned the numbers traditionally go like this
1 Keeper
2 Right back
3 Left back
4 centre half
5 centre half
6 right mid/winger
7 centre mid
8 centre mid
9 centre forward
10 centre forward
11 left mid/winger
For me the (regional ;-)) variations on yours are centre halves are 5/6; with 4 and 8 for the CMs (4 tending to be the more tackling one - 8 tending to be a bit more cultrured); 7 and 11 for the wingers.

And 9 tended to be the out and out centre-forward with 10 the more creative/assist based one.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
For me the (regional ;-)) variations on yours are centre halves are 5/6; with 4 and 8 for the CMs (4 tending to be the more tackling one - 8 tending to be a bit more cultrured); 7 and 11 for the wingers.

And 9 tended to be the out and out centre-forward with 10 the more creative/assist based one.
I just remember as a kid, Bryan Robson being the Man Utd and England no 7 and centre midfielder and that's always stuck with me.

sign of the chimes

I just remember as a kid, Bryan Robson being the Man Utd and England no 7 and centre midfielder and that's always stuck with me.
Indeed Snoop - think that's it; what you grow up with tends to resonate. I could take you through both the Pompey side I started watching with the numbers I mentioned; as well as the U-12 league I played in which seemed to follow suit.

Have to say I didn't have @Rosencrantz as being of the W-M generation but you live and learn (joking aside, I know he's a student of the game :))