• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Marcus Flitcroft - Head of Recruitment. What does he do and what is his back story?

simcity

You must have a different Linkedin to me...The only one who could possibly be described as a senior scout for ECFC is Paul Mitchell who is based in Bradford...The only Paul Mitchel I know besides the guy who does hair products, is the one who is sporting director at Monaco.
Just with a quick search there are 12 people who describe themselves as working as a scout for Exeter City - https://www.linkedin.com/search/results/people/?currentCompany=["1957075"]&origin=FACETED_SEARCH&title=scout

That doesn't include Marcus Flitcroft either!

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
While I fully understand the need for a "DoF", or even a Head of Recruitment/ Scout ("chief" or otherwise)/Anal-ist etc) surely some of our more recent debacles suggest that someone with basic medical or physio experience might have been a better use of budget.

And if the small slice of the the transfer millions actually being dribbled down to the actual playing side is insufficient for the above even a basic "trained First Aider" might be a start.

I do fear that ECFC, at the moment, is resembling a kind of High Street store where, although the back offices are being expanded and luxuriously carpeted and shiny new fascias are being affixed to the shop front, when the customers actually are enticed in the shelves are worryingly empty.

malcolms

Just with a quick search there are 12 people who describe themselves as working as a scout for Exeter City - https://www.linkedin.com/search/results/people/?currentCompany=["1957075"]&origin=FACETED_SEARCH&title=scout

That doesn't include Marcus Flitcroft either!
Have a closer look FFS....some clearly work with the Academy, one was a parcel delivery driver and another has worked with Mansfield, Cheltenham, Clochester and ourselves at the same time, despite just leaving University

simcity

Have a closer look FFS....some clearly work with the Academy, one was a parcel delivery driver and another has worked with Mansfield, Cheltenham, Clochester and ourselves at the same time, despite just leaving University
As I said in my first post there are both academy and first team scouts who work for ECFC but all describe themselves as scouts. I expect there will be some cross over as well if the academy scouts

There are also freelance scouts who work on a report by report basis if they are able to get to a game when the club scouts can’t. Lots of clubs at our level do that but maybe not all scouts will list each report as a job on linked in!

But that linked in search has given some kind of insight at least but if you’re that bothered about the exact number of scouts we employ just email them and ask!

Grecianpasty

Quality coaches through the academy have proven far more essential than an in depth scouting network for City.

If we where an established league one or championship club I would say otherwise. But as our academy is clearly our most profitable asset, that's where investment needs to be priotised to.

cambmike

Matt has made it clear recently what Marcus does

STURTZ

As a disappointing (in terms of meeting supporters expectations) close season draws to an end, questions are being asked about our recruitment policy, do the management team have enough connections, what scouting system is in place and what the heck does this guy do?

As frustrating as it is for us as supporters to be told "big Budget" "game changers to be signed", I would imagine that it is more frustrating for Matt when approaching a player and his agent to be signed, only to be told there are other irons in the fire, and he has to move on to a second third fourth choice if lucky.

Surely as head of recruitment Matt tells him what is needed then after the initial analysis a head of recruitment should be approaching a players agent to sound out their availability and demands and worming their way into the agents confidence to ensure that the player he has identified signs on the dotted line. Christ knows what is happening if we are being beaten to so many targets but this area of the club is definitely an area that needs improving.

How in these difficult times with the club perceived to be awash with wealth and reputation are other clubs beating us to our targets, where are we getting it so wrong

With new directors being appointed surely we need a director of football who has a solid reputation in the game (Maidenhead have Alan Devonshire), who can help us as Steve Perryman used to do

Interesting regarding recruitment, whoever Marcus Flitcroft is I would suggest he did a good job!

budegrecian

Interesting regarding recruitment, whoever Marcus Flitcroft is I would suggest he did a good job!
And some!

Pobbop

The signings that fans have been so quick to judge have so far played zero minutes of competitive football for City. There is also nearly a month left of the transfer window. Perhaps, it might be an idea to see how we actually do in the league and what our squad looks like in September before we start conducting too many post-mortems.
A sensible post to remember, compared to all the ******** from many usual suspects.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Doesn't read like Marcus is making the exodus up to Yorkshire https://www.devonlive.com/sport/football/football-news/exeter-city-boss-gary-caldwell-7780634