• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Auto(s) Charge

Grecian_Matt

We are going up..
Playing well at the moment and seem to have the believe to win games.

Tranmere is the only game, I feel dodgy about and we can afford to lose that one + I am sure Port Vale and Mansfield will lose another game themselves.
We will be promoted after we beat Barrow and the last two tough games will be parties.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
We will be promoted after we beat Barrow and the last two tough games will be parties.
They might even be a little more stressful than that if the Vegans continue to slip?

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
We are going up..
Playing well at the moment and seem to have the believe to win games.

Tranmere is the only game, I feel dodgy about and we can afford to lose that one + I am sure Port Vale and Mansfield will lose another game themselves.
Unfortunately, what you may / may not think counts for diddly squat.

Notwithstanding that, Port Vale have lost once in their last 18 games. On what basis are you 'sure' that the will lose one of their remaining five games?!

Grecian2K

Notwithstanding that, Port Vale have lost once in their last 18 games. On what basis are you 'sure' that the will lose one of their remaining five games?!
Well, after the monkey-hangers on Friday (always a potential banana skin) they still have The Gas and Newport to play (at home, admittedly, but two clubs who hopefully will still be straining every sinew for a play off spot at least). With unpredictable Walsall in between.

....and, of course, the little matter of of their final away games. They might not actually "lose" any of those, but three draws would still equal one defeat pointwise.

After 60 years of following City i sure ain't counting my chickens yet...but at least I'm digging the incubator out of the attic.

Well, after the monkey-hangers on Friday (always a potential banana skin) they still have The Gas and Newport to play (at home, admittedly, but two clubs who hopefully will still be straining every sinew for a play off spot at least). With unpredictable Walsall in between.

....and, of course, the little matter of of their final away games. They might not actually "lose" any of those, but three draws would still equal one defeat pointwise.

After 60 years of following City i sure ain't counting my chickens yet...but at least I'm digging the incubator out of the attic.
3 draws would equal 2 losses when it comes to points dropped!

andrew p long

Although this is largely theoretical, I think g-n-h is optimistic in saying that 13 points and our (currently better) goal difference *mathematically* assures promotion.

Our goal difference is only 9 better than Mansfield. If

we win games by the same one goal margin that we've been winning lately,
and lose one game by the same 4-0 margin that mid table Orient beat us by,
and Mansfield win games by an average of two goals, then Mansfield will have a better goal difference.

Even if our defeat is only by one goal then Mansfield could still overtake on GD without winning any game by more than 3 goals.

Grecian2K

Good point well made there Cumbrian :giggle:

May I rephrase please - "three draws would only equal one win".

In mitigation, may I refer the honourable member to my final para - for many of my formative years it was only TWO points for a win (although even that doen't quite back my argument)

(Oh, and G-n-H and CB.....stop giggling in the back please boys, else detention for you)

Banksy

Although this is largely theoretical, I think g-n-h is optimistic in saying that 13 points and our (currently better) goal difference *mathematically* assures promotion.

Our goal difference is only 9 better than Mansfield. If

we win games by the same one goal margin that we've been winning lately,
and lose one game by the same 4-0 margin that mid table Orient beat us by,
and Mansfield win games by an average of two goals, then Mansfield will have a better goal difference.

Even if our defeat is only by one goal then Mansfield could still overtake on GD without winning any game by more than 3 goals.
Oh for Jamie Cureton in his prime poaching in that box for the next half dozen games eh?

Good point well made there Cumbrian :giggle:

May I rephrase please - "three draws would only equal one win".

In mitigation, may I refer the honourable member to my final para - for many of my formative years it was only TWO points for a win (although even that doen't quite back my argument)

(Oh, and G-n-H and CB.....stop giggling in the back please boys, else detention for you)
Me too - the change was made in 1981 I believe - seems like yesterday actually no it doesn't :)

Grecian Max

I really didn't rate Tranmere - workmanlike and we were terrible that game. We will beat them away.