• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Life’s simple pleasures

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Finished our 5 mile walk only to find the pub closed 😭😭😭
Reminds me of a trip from Mallaig on the ferry to the Knoydart peninsular to go to The Old Forge pub,reputedly the most remote pub in the UK.
The ferry or a 17 mile tough hike overland was the only way to reach it.
I had visited it before & had a excellent if expensive meal in there.Despite it being June it was shut !
There is not much else in the area.The ferry returned in 4 hours.
I was talking to a local & asked why the pub was shut.The answer was “Because the owner is a **** & opens when he feels like it”
No beating about the bush 👍

Alistair20000

Reminds me of a trip from Mallaig on the ferry to the Knoydart peninsular to go to The Old Forge pub,reputedly the most remote pub in the UK.
I had visited it before & had a excellent if expensive meal in there.Despite it being June it was shut !
I was talking to a local & asked why the pub was shut.The answer was “Because the owner is a **** & opens when he feels like it”
A miserable Scottish fecker (or more) by the sounds of it.

Oldsmobile-88

A miserable Scottish fecker (or more) by the sounds of it.
He is Belgian Al....One thing they had on the Sweet menu that you rarely see nowadays in a restaurant was homemade chocolate moose 😍 Raw eggs in the making mean that very few offer it these days.

geoffwp

You should have hiked up onto the hills Olds. Absolutely stunning countryside and wonderfully remote. I've ended up in Inverie twice at the end of big 6 day hikes (we call them bothy crawls as we try plan a route to use them) and once when starting one. The start was too early for a beer even had the forge been open, but at least it was for the two ending times. After a week in the hills they were among the very best pints I'd ever drank.
Ps. Did you get to Mallaig by train from Glasgow? If so, isnt that the most stunning train ride?

Last edited:

Alistair20000

He is Belgian Al....One thing they had on the Sweet menu that you rarely see nowadays in a restaurant was homemade chocolate moose 😍 Raw eggs in the making mean that very few offer it these days.
Belgians are often miserable too :)

Oldsmobile-88

You should have hiked up onto the hills Olds. Absolutely stunning countryside and wonderfully remote. I've ended up in Inverie twice at the end of big 6 day hikes (we call them bothy crawls as we try plan a route to use them) and once when starting one. The start was too early for a beer even had the forge been open, but at least it was for the two ending times. After a week in the hills they were among the very best pints I'd ever drank.
Ps. Did you get to Mallaig by train from Glasgow? If so, isnt that the most stunning train ride?
I did go for a good walk around Geoff.It is a very beautiful spot.

Yes,i’ve travelled on the train from Glasgow to Mallaig.It is indeed a stunning train trip.

Oldsmobile-88

Seems strange putting a car drive on this thread especially as it’s nothing but stressful around my home county,but today the drive from Braemar in Deeside to Blairgowrie via Spittle of Glenshee was glorious,no other vehicles in front of behind so I could just pottle along admiring the wonderful scenery.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Seems strange putting a car drive on this thread especially as it’s nothing but stressful around my home county,but today the drive from Braemar in Deeside to Blairgowrie via Spittle of Glenshee was glorious,no other vehicles in front of behind so I could just pottle along admiring the wonderful scenery.
Especially the Braemar - Glenshee section. Glenshee is a popular skiing area. I was there in June one year and managed to blag a ride on a chairlift in return for a small contribution to the operator's whisky kitty!

Further south there used to be at least one ferocious hairpin bend, but the road was straightened out many years back.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
I did go for a good walk around Geoff.It is a very beautiful spot.

Yes,i’ve travelled on the train from Glasgow to Mallaig.It is indeed a stunning train trip.
I've seen a few videos on youtube of the train journeys up there. It's a place i want to visit at some point.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Eating strawberries just picked from the greenhouse. 🍓🍓🍓