• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Just to brighten up the day

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
Some of you seem to be struggling with reading and comprehension. There is a clue in the thread title, should you need it.

Take it for what it is - a reminder of a wonderful day when everything fell into place and we trounced them lot from down the road – rather than using it as another excuse to blather on with the dull and repetitive negativity.
Correct Log!!

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
For me it’s the 4-0 against Newcastle in the Cup. Stood in the away end with the Newcastle supporters and pretended I didn’t care as each one went in. Then slunk away as the police tried to shepherd me into one of the way coaches.
Too right Banksy, I will never forget that night

STURTZ

Quite simply the best game I have ever seen at the park. Argyle fans weren't bothered? My arse, they booed off their own players, and ripped into Lowe for sending out such a team. Perhaps you had to have been humiliated time and time again, been beaten up, gobbled at, arrested, laughed at, to realise the beauty of the fact that the last time we played the Slime we beat the fuckers 4;0!,

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Quite simply the best game I have ever seen at the park. Argyle fans weren't bothered? My arse, they booed off their own players, and ripped into Lowe for sending out such a team. Perhaps you had to have been humiliated time and time again, been beaten up, gobbled at, arrested, laughed at, to realise the beauty of the fact that the last time we played the Slime we beat the fuckers 4;0!,
How did you get past the swear filter.
#modsout

Rosencrantz

How did you get past the swear filter.
#modsout
The swear filter recognises when it's used in a correct context 😉

Banksy

The swear filter recognises when it's used in a correct context 😉
Ah I see. STURTZ was referring to that Robert de Niro film Meet the F***ers.

geoffwp

For me it’s the 4-0 against Newcastle in the Cup. Stood in the away end with the Newcastle supporters and pretended I didn’t care as each one went in. Then slunk away as the police tried to shepherd me into one of the way coaches.
Lucky escape there then. Imagine if a sharp eyed copper had chucked you onto the coach then having to explain yourself to 50 or so Geordies. Ouch.

Banksy

Lucky escape there then. Imagine if a sharp eyed copper had chucked you onto the coach then having to explain yourself to 50 or so Geordies. Ouch.
Yes , I think that’s what made memories of that game stick more in my mind after all these years.
I was away down that side street before you could say Howay man! We gannin' doon the Toon to beat the queues?"

Colesman Ballz

Well this thread worked out exceedingly well ! Perhaps it should become a regular match day feature ! :unsure: :):):unsure:

gilbertshoot

The one missing from that list which really did matter was the second leg game vs Torquay away which lead to promotion from the Conference.
Another one that will be forever in the memory was a 6 - 0 thrashing by Liverpool. That night in 81 was a cup second leg and we lost 11-0 overall but that wasn't the point. To be there as a 12 yr old and see not a reserves side but virtually the same team they put out against United 4 days earlier was amazing. Dalglish, Rush, Hansen, Mcdermott, Grobbelar etc - they all came down to sleepy Devon and tore us to pieces. It was stunning and something that will stay with me forever. We win, we lose, we draw but sometimes it's simply about the love of the game.