• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ajose

jrg333

Completely different types of players. You might as well have compared Logie to Matt Taylor. Logie was a six foot plus striker who had a decent touch for a big lad and, when in form both physically and mentally, knew how to put the ball in the back of the net. Matt Jay is a very diminutive forward who plays in the hole behind the main striker and has a very good eye for and knows where the back of the net is.
Logan and Matt Jay different types of players? What a newsflash. Thank you, oh wise one, for informing me that Logan and Matt Jay are different players. Truly enlightening.

Unfortunately, though, completely irrelevant in a discussion about natural talent. Logan had very little talent as a footballer but some good physical attributes. Jay has talent in abundance but is restricted by his physicality.

It's a totally valid comparison if one isn't choosing to be extremely dense...

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Logan and Matt Jay different types of players? What a newsflash. Thank you, oh wise one, for informing me that Logan and Matt Jay are different players. Truly enlightening.

Unfortunately, though, completely irrelevant in a discussion about natural talent. Logan had very little talent as a footballer but some good physical attributes. Jay has talent in abundance but is restricted by his physicality.

It's a totally valid comparison if one isn't choosing to be extremely dense...
Talent comes in various forms on a football pitch. It's not all about first touch, keepy ups and being able to thread a pass through the eye of a needle. I'm sure one as bright as you might be able to work that out.

Rosencrantz

I didn't say they were similar players. I was comparing their 'talent' as footballers, which was the word you used. In terms of natural talent, Matt Jay is not even in the same league as Logie. I did not see anything that Logan ever did that suggested he could play at a higher level. Matt Jay, on the other hand, would very likely be one of the more naturally gifted footballers even in a Championship squad.
I never said "natural" talent. Also talent comes in different forms. Heading is a talent which Logie is way above MJ for example. We clearly have very different memories of Logie playing. I've just sat through Logie's excellent lock down interview with Scott again as it shows a lot of Logie in action. There was a lot of talent and ability on show both on the ground and in the air. Also Jamie Cureton stated Logie was his best partner at City. He should be a good judge.

Logie's ability, and yes talent, if applied correctly should have seen him playing regularly in the Championship and L1 in his career. When he was on it, he was easily that level as was shown in a large part of 2010/11. That his career didn't go that way was down to not being "on it" enough. And that is down to mentality and application.

If you were to join up Logie's abilities (touch, finishing, heading) with Bowman's work rate and mentality, the end product would not be playing lower league football.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought the same.

I presume it was over several seasons, even then I'm not sure the culmination was that many in league 1.

In the football league I generally remember Logan being a 5 a season man, i.e. his football league record was generally dire.
From www.soccerbase.com:

2007-08 in the Conference: 19 goals in 46 appearances
2008-09 in League Two: 4 in 33
2009-10 in League One: 4 in 36
2010-11 in League One: 11 in 47
2011-12 in League One: 6 in 33

ExmouthMart

Why is Logan even being mentioned in a thread about one of the biggest waste of money we have ever had?! Unless he has some sort of mental health issues or serious illness he should be forever referred to as the benchmark for carpness.
Richard Logan is quite rightly a Legend amongst us for the part he played in two of our greatest ever games. The Torquay game was probably the best game I’ve seen (quiet at the back!).Him winning the penalty and scoring that header and a tremendous team performance, including Tisdale, brought us back from the dead.....
Ajose has done nothing worth remembering ever for us apart from take a very nice salary and complain about his delicate knees, unless of course once out of contract and not restricted by that he has a slightly different story to tell......

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I really don’t remember Logie getting 20 League 1 goals...
Over three seasons.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
From www.soccerbase.com:
Dog sheet - overall.

paperclip

Why is Logan even being mentioned in a thread about one of the biggest waste of money we have ever had?! Unless he has some sort of mental health issues or serious illness he should be forever referred to as the benchmark for carpness.
Richard Logan is quite rightly a Legend amongst us for the part he played in two of our greatest ever games. The Torquay game was probably the best game I’ve seen (quiet at the back!).Him winning the penalty and scoring that header and a tremendous team performance, including Tisdale, brought us back from the dead.....
Ajose has done nothing worth remembering ever for us apart from take a very nice salary and complain about his delicate knees, unless of course once out of contract and not restricted by that he has a slightly different story to tell......
Not for this thread perhaps, but I can think of a few other players who would be in the running to challenge for that 'accolade'.

Rosencrantz

From www.soccerbase.com:

2007-08 in the Conference: 19 goals in 46 appearances
What is incredible with Logie is how many of those appearances are substitute appearances. 95 starts and 98 substitute appearances in conference and league football for us.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
If he started he was blowing out of his back passage 30 minutes in !