• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Salford City v Exeter City Official Match Day Thread

robchave

A good point from the game yesterday, we showed good character to stay composed despite going a goal down early in the match. It would have been a very soft penalty if the Bowman incident had been awared, for me he should have done better being one on one with the keeper. Another positve is that iFollow appeared to work ok for the whole match!
If I was a referee, I'd be giving about six penalties a game. I'm pretty sure that defenders would soon stop doing this kind of thing, however 'soft'!

I think what might be stopping them, is that they also have to give a red card(?). It's almost like a double punishment. Stop the red cards, except for the most blatant GBH tackles, and I think the refs would give more pens.

Last edited:

scottus86

Just watched the Matt Taylor interview. He's talking about an incident where we might have got a penalty and they might have had a player sent off. Seems he asked the referee for clarification about the incident. I dont know to what incident he refers. Any idea boys?
I think it's when Bowman stole the ball off the defender in the first half and a soft challenge from behind was made that didn't touch the ball but was enough to prevent Bowman getting a decent shot.

It would have been an incredibly soft penalty and red card in my opinion.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Remember seeing a similar incident with Sean Devine, he was brought down inside the six yard box and the referee put the whistle to his lips, Devine soldiered on and managed to get a weak shot in which was cleared off the line. Play on!
And we wonder why players throw themselves to the deck under the slightest contact. As long as they get penalised for their honesty, it will continue to happen.

LOG

Considering that it was, i think, the ref's first league game he didn't do too bad.

There were some inconsistencies with giving something or nothing free kicks but not others which seemed a bit stronger. There was also an instance in the first half which was an obvious example of when to play advantage but he gave us a free kick instead (which came to nothing).

Oldsmobile-88

For those who watched on ifollow.Was there a ‘Take the knee’ prior to kickoff ?

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
With luck ,Taylor has realised that we are more of a threat when we have a big striker combined with two young quick attacking midfielders/forwards,than a slower midfield of Atangana/Taylor/Law taking an age to get up with Bowman and Williams being crowded out with two players becausethe opposition have worked out he is our main outlet.There was an indication in the Pointless Cup last season that this would work ,but Taylor has never picked up on it until now.

If Williams is sold,the extra cash injection + Taylor having to rethink the setup of the team might improve our prospects this year.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not that I saw nor was there one in the midweek game against FGR.

fred binneys head

No there wasn’t.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The penalty shout reminds me of the penalty we conceded at home to Grimsby a couple of years ago, in the game where we had about 25 shots but somehow lost 2-1.

I think it may have been O’Shea who conceded the penalty that day in similar fashion to yesterday, the only difference being their player went down. I think Bowman needed to do the same.

tonykellowfan

I thought the ref was pretty good to be honest. No complaints.