• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Northampton Town - League 2 Playoff Final at Wembley Stadium

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
While we deserved to lose tonight I am in no doubt that Salisbury bottled it by letting Wharton stay on. It was a clear second yellow.

Down to 10 men that early things might have been different.

denzel

Terrible tactics.Wharton was on a yellow after 5 minutes.Did we put pressure on him to get him sent off?No where near enough.
Actually there was a foul on Bowman that should have been a second yellow. Wharton got away with that big time.

Legohead

Banned
While we deserved to lose tonight I am in no doubt that Salisbury bottled it by letting Wharton stay on. It was a clear second yellow.

They also had one of their most influential players taken off injured first half which should have given us the kick up the arse needed. If we hadn't have conceded 2nd pretty much straight after he went off the pitch. Taylor can be questioned for tactics / selection but i'm more angry at the lack of pride and desire in those out there tonight. Most of them showed a really poor attitude to their jobs and poor application.

Mr Jinx

Actually there was a foul on Bowman that should have been a second yellow. Wharton got away with that big time.
Maybe, but if we'd played till midnight, even against ten men, we still wouldn't have scored.

geoffwp

Says a lot about our quality tonight though Al if we needed the oppo down to 10 to give us any chance. 🤔

arthur

I was impressed with his early yellow. Far too often defenders are allowed a free hit on opposing forwards, a cynical move designed to intimidate them. (Lineker said he always told refs that Bould and Adams would both kick him in the first five minutes, and they always just let them get on with it unpunished)

Alistair20000

Says a lot about our quality tonight though Al if we needed the oppo down to 10 to give us any chance. 🤔
I was not excusing our abysmal performance Geoff. Just reminding of a clear error from the referee.

Steve Moran3

It's easy to lay blame for such a bad performance but credit has to be given to Northampton. Like their style or not, it's so effective and difficult to play against. I however would not want to pay to watch them every week.

MT interview was brutally honest, whilst he has to accept some blame, as 352 was clearly the wrong formation which should have been changed after 10 minutes, he must feel let down by his players, in particular Moxey.

Sweeney and Moxey I hope won't kick a ball for us again, neither are good enough, and Deano really let everyone down tonight with a 'lose your head' challenge. What a pr*ck. Taylor I hope stays although was v poor tonight, over the season he deserves his place. Atangana needs a rocket up his arse, typical lazy Frenchman (probably can't say that but I don't give a $h!t) and up top we just couldnt get hold of the ball.

I disagree with Ryan Lowe saying he didn't see us doing much next season and it would be tough. I think we'll be right up there again as we were this season, I'm just starting not to care

Mr Jinx

IMHO, the season was lost when MT signed Ajose. It was a huge gamble that failed badly. Had Ajose scored say 5 or so goals getting us 5 or so more points, we wouldn't be having this thread tonight.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
IMHO, the season was lost when MT signed Ajose. It was a huge gamble that failed badly. Had Ajose scored say 5 or so goals getting us 5 or so more points, we wouldn't be having this thread tonight.
Very good point.