• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tisdale

Grecian_In_Exile

Very well known Exeweb poster
Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th
He had just started getting it right, he had just added Stanno to the team to play with Phillips. It was all looking good.

We will never know though unfortunately.
and in my eyes it's all looking good for ECFC right now, both on and off the field. The club I have supported for 40 years have one of the best young managers in the business, like Inglethorpe & Dolan were at the time, Tis is still learnng his trade though. Let's give him the time he needs, and like with Ferguson at Manure, who knows what Tis might achieve with ECFC?

Grecian_Jay

Ok, when have we played football you enjoy Jay?

FYI, I liked Tis the first time I saw his style, a pre-season game at home against Yeading.

I've seen nothing since to remotely make me waver.
I will repeat what I said yesterday on one of these threads. The first 3 or 4 games of our first season back in the league. That football was scintillating. It just died off when he started getting too negative.

Grecian_Jay

and in my eyes it's all looking good for ECFC right now, both on and off the field. The club I have supported for 40 years have one of the best young managers in the business, like Inglethorpe & Dolan were at the time, Tis is still learnng his trade though. Let's give him the time he needs, and like with Ferguson at Manure, who knows what Tis might achieve with ECFC?
I'll give him all the time in the world. I just won't be losing sleep if/when he eventually goes.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Did you lose sleep when lovely little Alex went?

malcolms

Don't think that's strictly true. Hoofball is common among extremely negative teams who get 8 men behind the ball and leave a couple of nippy strikers up to which they hoof the ball over the top to, reducing the need for midfielders to possess any attacking/footballing ability.

I know this because this is how my old team used to play. Agricultural.
Not sure Inglethorpe was this predictable, most managers play long ball because its a less risky way of playing. English league players, in the main, lack the technical skills to play their way out of their own half, so the sight of the ball being played wide to a full back who hits the space behind the opposing back line is the staple diet of the lower leagues. To play it well you need a player who holds the ball up well allowing the rest of the team to catch up and press the opposition into the last third. Add to that good dead ball delivery and aggressive attacking plaers at set plays and you can have success. It may not be what you want but sometimes suits the players you have available or can afford

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry Malcoms, my point didn't relate to Inglethorpe at all, was just picking up on Spanky's assertion that hoofball was attacking football.

I enjoyed having Inglethorpe as manager, we did play SOME exciting stuff under him. But it didn't produce the results we needed to escape the conference.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I think a distinction needs to be made betweeen "direct" Football and "long ball". The former, employed by teams like Dagenham and Redbridge, is to me a very exciting style. Yes, you get the ball in the oppo half ASAP, usually from the keeper's kick. However, once around the box, flair players (incl. wingers) get in on the act.

The latter, meanwhile, is all about hoofing it to the 9'3" striker, hope he flicks it on to the partner who finishes. Or, failing that, hope that the oppo heads the ball out of play from the hoof (for the Delap-alike to throw in to the other 8 9'3" players), or the defender fouls the 9'3" striker so the other 8 9'3" players can crowd the box. Yuk.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
I enjoyed having Inglethorpe as manager, we did play SOME exciting stuff under him. But it didn't produce the results we needed to escape the conference.
well it was certainly better than the preceding four years of fox/blake/cornforth/peters... (well actually i guess peters might not have been a terrible guy but it was certainly a terrible time.)

STURTZ

We had ten years of hoofing the ball up to Flack, it was sh*t.

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
He had just started getting it right, he had just added Stanno to the team to play with Phillips. It was all looking good.

We will never know though unfortunately.
City's record in 2004/5 was:
played 42 won 20 drawn 11 lost 11 goal diff 21 points 71 - finished 6th, 1 point off the play-offs

City's record in 2005/6 was:
played 42 won 18 drawn 9 lost 15 goal diff 17 points 63 - finished 7th, 11 points off the play-offs

What evidence do you have that Inglethorpe had just started getting it right, & that it was all looking good?

The evidence indicates that, on the contrary, Inglethorpe was not getting it right, & that things were getting worse.

More than that, you can't play down Tisdale's achievements - play-off, play-off+promotion, automatic promotion - by comparison of results achieved.