• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Lord Triesman's comments

Phil Sayers

Very well known Exeweb poster
Its already widely accepted that the Daily Mail is the most vitriolic, vile, unpleasant, worthless rag around but I think they can now add treacherous to their shameful reputation.

Generally I think papers should publish and be damned if they have a story and can substantiate it but I make an exception here. There was no public interest in exposing what he said and all it has done is make it harder for the 2018 bid to succeed. Obviously most of the readership of the Daily Hate despise football anyway but I believe the 'paper' itself were publicly supporting the bid - clearly their actions will now speak louder than their words.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bizarre comments though, where on earth was he getting that from? I'd like to know more about his sources. Agreed about the treacherous nature of the article, a Spanish newspaper would never have published similar allegations made off the record by someone involved in their bid.

mac57

i totally agree with you. you have to wonder who was behind the whole thing, seems to have been alot of animosity against him from the beginning

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would tell you my thoughts on this matter, but if I did, someone might sell the story to a newspaper, so :-#

GrecianWonder

Thanks Daily Mail for ruining the chance of the world cup coming to england. People wonder why we dont get any World cups or Euros. the answer is in our media...

hate the lot of them.

angelic upstart

If Triesman hadn't shot his mouth off, there wouldn't be a story.

I don't like the papers but to "blame" them for others' comments is madness. Yes, it was entrapment,. Yes, it is a grubby little story. But if he hadn't have said those things, it wouldn't be an issue.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
And it's a good thing by the sound of things that he's out of the bid set-up. Obviously not very bright.

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
If Triesman hadn't shot his mouth off, there wouldn't be a story.

I don't like the papers but to "blame" them for others' comments is madness. Yes, it was entrapment,. Yes, it is a grubby little story. But if he hadn't have said those things, it wouldn't be an issue.
That's harsh, AU. He can't be 'on duty' 24/7 just in case someone would have a secret tape recorder running.

I heard that he was a Labour peer and I suspect that that was the necessary motivation for the Daily Mail to f*ck up the chances of England 2018.

Nice one.

angelic upstart

Why is it harsh? If I asked you something personal about work, would you say "well y'know, we'll be okay unless the Russians and Spanish trying and pay off my boss". You wouldn't. The guy is a dunce. Besides, no 2018 means no need for argyle to do up their ground...

Phil Sayers

What he said was either a very bad joke or some kind of deep seated paranoia. Or an insight into the level of corruption in the game.

Either way he shouldn't have said it and it he had to go. I just cannot see the motivation of an English newspaper which purports to support the bid publishing something so damaging to that bid.