• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Gillingham Matchday Thread

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ian - I think your opinions (!) are often slightly undermined by your tendency to view players in isolation, rather than looking at how the team, & the parts that comprise the team, function as units.

In this case, for instance, it's not simply a matter of who is better at getting up & down the pitch on the flanks, but rather, what the best make-up for our front 3 is, given that Tis clearly intends to stick with 4-3-3. You may think Logie doesn't get into the box often enough. But the real issue is the extent to which this system is effective in stopping opponents scoring, & creating chances for our players to score. Having watched some of the first few games, it seemed we were creating plenty of chances, without finishing them off. That has clearly changed during the last 2 games.

So, while you may not think Logie is doing enough for you, you don't address the question of how the current forward line is enabling the team to work as a whole. In the same way, your continual complaint that Harley doesn't tackle enough fails to address the question of how the midfield trio of Gilly, Edwards & Harley are functioning as a unit. The point is - & this seems to me to be Daddy's point - that Tis has clear ideas of how the various parts of the team should function, in order that the side as a whole functions most effectively.

For Logie & Stanno to play the roles you advocate might well compromise the effectiveness of the current 4-3-3 system...or force the team to adopt a different shape/system altogether.
Yeah, a bit like Piet Mondrian in the early twenties, eh Jambo?

grecIAN Harris

So suggesting that Stanno being able to be more potent whilst working off of Logan if he was playing wide whilst being able to provide cover for Tully because he is able to get up and back is not viewing the balance of the front three or the overall effectiveness of the side???
As for Harley, I'm talking about his own personal progression, be it with City or somebody else. The system as it currently stands suits Harley's talents best. It means he can float about with out having to do the 'dirty' work. He would proved to be less effective in any formation that didn't have three central midfielders. Until he has the ability to do the ugly things, this will always be the case.

BIG DADDY

Ian - I think your opinions (!) are often slightly undermined by your tendency to view players in isolation, rather than looking at how the team, & the parts that comprise the team, function as units.

In this case, for instance, it's not simply a matter of who is better at getting up & down the pitch on the flanks, but rather, what the best make-up for our front 3 is, given that Tis clearly intends to stick with 4-3-3. You may think Logie doesn't get into the box often enough. But the real issue is the extent to which this system is effective in stopping opponents scoring, & creating chances for our players to score. Having watched some of the first few games, it seemed we were creating plenty of chances, without finishing them off. That has clearly changed during the last 2 games.

So, while you may not think Logie is doing enough for you, you don't address the question of how the current forward line is enabling the team to work as a whole. In the same way, your continual complaint that Harley doesn't tackle enough fails to address the question of how the midfield trio of Gilly, Edwards & Harley are functioning as a unit. The point is - & this seems to me to be Daddy's point - that Tis has clear ideas of how the various parts of the team should function, in order that the side as a whole functions most effectively.

For Logie & Stanno to play the roles you advocate might well compromise the effectiveness of the current 4-3-3 system...or force the team to adopt a different shape/system altogether.
HOORAY someone who understands football and appreciates tactics and systems

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yeah, a bit like Piet Mondrian in the early twenties, eh Jambo?
Exactly, Sturtz. No chance for nipping round the back with Duchamp's work of the same period, never mind tucking it in.

BIG DADDY

So suggesting that Stanno being able to be more potent whilst working off of Logan if he was playing wide whilst being able to provide cover for Tully because he is able to get up and back is not viewing the balance of the front three or the overall effectiveness of the side???
As for Harley, I'm talking about his own personal progression, be it with City or somebody else. The system as it currently stands suits Harley's talents best. It means he can float about with out having to do the 'dirty' work. He would proved to be less effective in any formation that didn't have three central midfielders. Until he has the ability to do the ugly things, this will always be the case.
you have hod carriers and people who lay the bricks,harley is a brickie just give him the ball,rather have him playing than a robbie savage type player all heart good engine no end product

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
The system as it currently stands suits Harley's talents best.
Alternatively: Harley's talents (deployed in a floating role within a 3 man midfield) suit the current system best.

And the current system may represent the most effective means for getting the best out of the players...

LammieLammieLammie

Is right mate. People say to me that Logie and Stanno should swap. Play Stanno down the right side!

Behave. Adams work rate is top of the green, and Logies isn;t far behind looking out for Steve. Put Adam in a 4-3-3 on the right, and we would be slaughtered down that side.

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
And therein lies the point Jambo, it will completely compromise the front three. Logan is a very different striker to Stanno, and Logan could never play as a lone striker, he is nowhere near mobile enough nor is he as creative as Stansfield when surrounded by defenders - largely because he hasn't Adam's pace or acceleration. In his current role, Logan is flourishing and is far more adept in this role than Stanno would be. Add to that the fact that Stanno would be wasted away from goal and the fact that the current system is working just fine...leaving it well alone seems the obvious answer to me

BIG DADDY

And therein lies the point Jambo, it will completely compromise the front three. Logan is a very different striker to Stanno, and Logan could never play as a lone striker, he is nowhere near mobile enough nor is he as creative as Stansfield when surrounded by defenders - largely because he hasn't Adam's pace or acceleration. In his current role, Logan is flourishing and is far more adept in this role than Stanno would be. Add to that the fact that Stanno would be wasted away from goal and the fact that the current system is working just fine...leaving it well alone seems the obvious answer to me
logan could play as a lone striker , but what you would need is frank lampard or joe cole type players to run passed him, but thats another system,as you say if its not broke dont try to fix it

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
Alternatively: Harley's talents (deployed in a floating role within a 3 man midfield) suit the current system best.

And the current system may represent the most effective means for getting the best out of the players...
I personally believe that Harley and the midfield system suit each other, and the same to be said for both Gill and Edwards. By this I mean that neither the players have had to adapt to a preferred system, nor has the system had to be shaped around the players. The players and the system were made for each other and hats off to Tisdale for spotting this early.

PS: Its nice to have a proper tactical discussion on Exeweb again!