• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Will Aimson joins on a permanent contract

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
One of the problems is that the boo boys are always quick to have a go at an outsider/signing playing for us, rather than 'one of our own '.
We can remember Hartridge, Jay, Cox and Seymour struggling quite badly at times, especially but not exclusively, in their early career and, thank goodness the boo boys didn't get on their backs. The key is be patient and give players a fair amount of time to prove themselves and don't destroy their confidence; have trust in the management team.
It wasn't long ago some in here were complaining about Alli and now look how that appears to be turning out.
Indeed, I remember this difference being quite stark during the time when Paul Buckle was a target after his "encounter" with a former (?) Exewebber. One away match he was playing in midfield with one of our youngsters - probably Danny Clay. Buckle ballooned one in the air and received a load of abuse. A minute later Clay did the same thing and was given shouts of "good effort" or similar.

Aimson was for me arguably our best player early in the season (at Portsmouth he was immense) and has been again late in the season. His dip mid-season was no different to the dip of others, but in defence if you make a mistake you're likely to be punished for it - especially with our tactic of playing the ball across the defence.

What has impressed me most is the way he shook off the boo boys (and I'm with Mid Devon Grecian about my reaction to the booing) and has won the supporters back through sheer force of performance. He could easily, like Scott (another player who I always saw at least trying and showed glimpses of what he could do), have gone into his shell and become impossible to pick, but he responded well and is reaping the rewards.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd say a big problem for Aimson was when Sweeney came out and did the post match interview to 'protect players' after another bad defeat, I can't remember which match it was.

I think people saw that as Aimson hiding away and shirking responsibilities, when I'm sure that wasn't the case.

It's great that he's come through such a tough period, in December I couldn't see a way back for him at ECFC - fair play to him.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'd say a big problem for Aimson was when Sweeney came out and did the post match interview to 'protect players' after another bad defeat, I can't remember which match it was.

I think people saw that as Aimson hiding away and shirking responsibilities, when I'm sure that wasn't the case.

It's great that he's come through such a tough period, in December I couldn't see a way back for him at ECFC - fair play to him.
Yes, but Sweeney is the club captain. Therefore it was right and proper for him to do that interview. Cudos to him for doing it.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, but Sweeney is the club captain. Therefore it was right and proper for him to do that interview. Cudos to him for doing it.
I know - I agree.

My point is, I think a lot of fans (not me) felt that Aimson was hiding.

iscalad

I know - I agree.

Well, they'd be wrong then.

Got to give Aimson his dues he’s been brilliant the last dozen games. Better without the captaincy.
He was god awful for a period though, anyone trying to say he wasn’t is living on a different planet.

StudentGrecian

I know - I agree.

It was after Derby away. Sweeney had only come off the bench as a late substitute after being dropped, so I think people felt Aimson should have stepped up.

Context, it was after 6 straight defeats and conceding 14 goals, with Aimson the only real mainstay in CB in that period.

He has absolutely turned the corner and deserves all the credit for now being one of the first names on the team sheet. Had we had sold him in January like we tried to, I’m not sure there would have been too many complaints though.

Antony Moxey

Had we had sold him in January like we tried to
Did we? Where did you hear that?

iscalad

It was after Derby away. Sweeney had only come off the bench as a late substitute after being dropped, so I think people felt Aimson should have stepped up.

Context, it was after 6 straight defeats and conceding 14 goals, with Aimson the only real mainstay in CB in that period.

He has absolutely turned the corner and deserves all the credit for now being one of the first names on the team sheet. Had we had sold him in January like we tried to, I’m not sure there would have been too many complaints though.
I didn't know we tried to sell him. Please tell us this story.

Colesman Ballz

I didn't know we tried to sell him. Please tell us this story.
I believe Aimson is about 6ft (I'm sure Pate could confirm this), so maybe it's just a tall story ? :cool: