• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The National League (Conference) and non league football thread

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
I wonder why the council won't guarentee their tenure.

denzel

Been changed now to Altrincham getting a bye. Makes the EFL look well run..

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Farce.

Oldsmobile-88

I wonder why the council won't guarentee their tenure.
It’s odd. Gateshead have played at the International Stadium since the early 1970s. Doubt there are any plans for the ground.

Oldsmobile-88

It’s odd. Gateshead have played at the International Stadium since the early 1970s. Doubt there are any plans for the ground.
Video Bloggers view of the issue.

Spoonz Red E

Gateshead Council's response:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Gateshead Council's response:
Not a good look from the Council, I don't see their statement confirming a ten year lease.

Spoonz Red E

Not a good look from the Council, I don't see their statement confirming a ten year lease.
There's a few loose ends when you look at both accounts.

It seems the Council have an overarching strategy involving wider leisure facilities meaning they are getting a third party involved.
I can't speak to the merits of this but, as with other local councils of various political stripes I suspect budget squeezes are the reason for that strategy.
The guy in the YouTube video suggests that the National League were pre-disposed to letting Gateshead play but the EFL are the sticking point.
The 10 year rules seems to be a newly introduced one which probably explains why the EFL are sticking to it by the letter.

This situation has been coming over the hill for some months so it's strange that some resolution couldn't be found leading to this late decision.
I'd be prepared to bet that Gateshead will still be in that ground in 10 years regardless so it does seem particularly hard on them and their fans.

denzel

There's a few loose ends when you look at both accounts.

It seems the Council have an overarching strategy involving wider leisure facilities meaning they are getting a third party involved.
I can't speak to the merits of this but, as with other local councils of various political stripes I suspect budget squeezes are the reason for that strategy.
The guy in the YouTube video suggests that the National League were pre-disposed to letting Gateshead play but the EFL are the sticking point.
The 10 year rules seems to be a newly introduced one which probably explains why the EFL are sticking to it by the letter.

This situation has been coming over the hill for some months so it's strange that some resolution couldn't be found leading to this late decision.
I'd be prepared to bet that Gateshead will still be in that ground in 10 years regardless so it does seem particularly hard on them and their fans.
Yes but should the EFL really be allowing in teams with a running track around the edge??

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Good luck to Bath City who are away to Braintree in the first play off game in the NLS.