• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
How often do I look back at season records from the 70s and 80s and ponder the experience of being a City fan at that time? Never.

Football is very much about the now.
Really? The 77 promotion? The 81 Cup Run? The Colin Appleton years??

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Really? The 77 promotion? The 81 Cup Run? The Colin Appleton years??
All before I was born and I don't give them any thought, tbh.

Rosencrantz

View attachment 15170

Thought this was an interesting table to look at

We regularly have more of the ball than other teams but this doesn't translate to league position; possession doesn't necessarily correlate with success, although the very best teams do dominate the ball as you'd expect. And score a lot more goals with it as they have the quality.

I'm sure we're all casting envious glances at Stevenage and Lincoln's overachievements; something that we'd presumably like to mirror but they haven't done that by retaining the ball.

Certainly not my expectation - GC has met that in league position. But this talk of possession is something everyone is doing to gain success isn't black and white.

Many said Derby were excellent (I was less impressed) but they sit on 13th in this table.
There are always anomalies and whatever style of play you go with, if you get it working then you will do well as Stevenage and Lincoln (lately, the addition of Joe Taylor seems to have really kicked them on) have shown, both with a shout of the play offs. When you look at the top three and bottom three, it does show a trend. You are more likely to do well in this division with possession, if you get it right on a consistent basis. If you don't then it's interesting that ourselves, Wigan and Rovers all seem to be tied together in the possession table and the league table (obvs Wigan points deducted). All the teams that are now battling relegation though have less than 50% possession suggesting whatever the style they are attempting, it isn't working even if they are attempting to be a possession based team.

I agree Derby are not outstanding, but they are experienced, organised and clinical. That's why I said at the time we played them that they are more likely to go up with Pompey, although I would much rather watch Peterborough.

Quite amusing to see the changes in stance now the bout is over, embarrassed punters sneaking into the ring under cover of darkness to retrieve towels that were thrown when things looked tough.
Our Board wouldn't have that luxury, thank God they had a bit more belief!
Quite amusing imagining you peering at this thread waiting to shoot people down so you can gloat that you knew Caldwell would overcome that 100 days in a season without a win “blip” and that you were right all along.

No one cares mate, move on, we are all happy we stayed up.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Quite amusing imagining you peering at this thread waiting to shoot people down so you can gloat that you knew Caldwell would overcome that 100 days in a season without a win “blip” and that you were right all along.

No one cares mate, move on, we are all happy we stayed up.
I also find the debate around what we should and shouldn't find entertaining rather odd, given that it's totally subjective.

Colesman Ballz

All before I was born and I don't give them any thought, tbh.
We still have a long way to go to eclipse that seven year stay in the third tier and run to the the sixth round of the FA Cup (or quarter finals as they are now attempting to rebrand them ) !

paperclip

I also find the debate around what we should and shouldn't find entertaining rather odd, given that it's totally subjective.
As you say, it's subjective, which means people will hold different opinions. That's precisely the point of contributing to a forum, surely?

Grecian Max

sturtz.jpg

Posted without comment

Banksy

Suffolklad still not reading posts
He obviously read mine because that’s seemingly what’s rattled his cage.😀

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
View attachment 15171

Posted without comment
Well, I certainly didn't expect to see that. Insert your own Exeweb / ECFC Related wording