• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

Bridgy 81

Which positions? From what I saw, we had issues in wide areas, that could be put down, to a large extent, to bad luck, but they paled in significance compared to the lack of options up front, which wasn't the result of an injury crisis.
I was talking about the troublesome spate of injuries we experienced in the first half of the season rather than our virtual lack of any sort of decent strike force.
As far as I can remember we had Rankine and Niskanen out at the same time for quite a few games.
So that necessitated Harper being played out of position on the right and Jules being moved wider on the left than he’s effective.
We also then lost Harper for some time so Harry Kite ended up at wing back.
I think these things overlapped to an unhelpful extent but I don’t plan to go back and check the details!
I know our striking options were absolutely shocking at that time too but it certainly didn’t help that any forward momentum from the flanks, which I presume playing wing backs is designed to create, was completely disrupted by injuries to all our best players in that position at the same time.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was talking about the troublesome spate of injuries we experienced in the first half of the season rather than our virtual lack of any sort of decent strike force.
As far as I can remember we had Rankine and Niskanen out at the same time for quite a few games.
So that necessitated Harper being played out of position on the right and Jules being moved wider on the left than he’s effective.
We also then lost Harper for some time so Harry Kite ended up at wing back.
I think these things overlapped to an unhelpful extent but I don’t plan to go back and check the details!
I know our striking options were absolutely shocking at that time too but it certainly didn’t help that any forward momentum from the flanks, which I presume playing wing backs is designed to create, was completely disrupted by injuries to all our best players in that position at the same time.
That was GC's choice though to maintain his preferred shape. He didn't have to. He could have done something different.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
The below is from Devon Live in an article from the 9th November, focussing on Niskanen about to return from a long term absence:

"City’s long injury list though shows no further signs of easing. Demi Mitchell is already out for the season after undergoing surgery on his ACL, while none of Tom Carroll, Reece Cole, Gary Woods, Caleb Watts or Jack Fiztwater are likely to be back this weekend. Dion Rankine remains unavailable as well as he completes his rehab at Chelsea and will be returning to St James Park next week when he will be fully fit to feature."
What you're ultimately suggesting is we were that bad because of injuries right?

Absolutely nothing to do with the manager

Seems to be a running theme that those who have staunchly backed GC cannot allow themselves to be balanced in criticism

Conversely from where I'm standing the posters who have been critical of Caldwell have been happy to give him credit

Also:

Gary Woods, Caleb Watts or Jack Fiztwater
Absolutely critical to our success those lads 😂

Last edited:

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
That was GC's choice though to maintain his preferred shape. He didn't have to. He could have done something different.
Indeed. It's not like Sweeney's never played right wing back before...

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
What you're ultimately suggesting is we were that bad because of injuries right?

Absolutely nothing to do with the manager

Seems to be a running theme that those who have staunchly backed GC cannot allow themselves to be balanced in criticism

Conversely from where I'm standing the posters who have been critical of Caldwell have been happy to give him credit

Also:

Absolutely critical to our success those lads 😂
Innit.

What I find odd is that the GC rose tinters in their total blame of the poor form on injuries are essentially denying him of the credit that I believe he deserves since that terrible run. I believe he's learned a few things, conveyed his philosophy more effectively to the player and sprinkled on some magic to cause our upturn in fortunes - well done to him. The rose tinters are denying that credit by maintaining that it's all down to player availability.

Bridgy 81

I appreciate that.
But as far as I recall it would have been tricky switching to a back four as we didn't have any fullbacks available.
I'm not counting Sweeney in that because regretfully I don't think he's sufficiently mobile for that role now.

Boyo

Innit.

What I find odd is that the GC rose tinters in their total blame of the poor form on injuries are essentially denying him of the credit that I believe he deserves since that terrible run. I believe he's learned a few things, conveyed his philosophy more effectively to the player and sprinkled on some magic to cause our upturn in fortunes - well done to him. The rose tinters are denying that credit by maintaining that it's all down to player availability.
I think the injuries were the primary reason for the poor run of results, but of course there are other factors. I didn't understand why some people got upset when we lost at Derby, for example. I mean they have a £15m wage bill and play in front of 25,000 in a fantastic stadium. Booing an Exeter team losing there is just mental IMO. Maybe he could have adjusted the formation or the playing style, or lobbed a second centre half up front. Of course having a decent striker would have been brilliant (and of course GC carries part of the blame for that not being in place). But ultimately the key reason, for me, was the injuries. Results prior and since, seem to back that up.

tavyred

GC obviously ‘worked the problem’ and found a way. Good on him, the pressure must have been massive.

Grecian Max

I think the injuries were the primary reason for the poor run of results, but of course there are other factors. I didn't understand why some people got upset when we lost at Derby, for example. I mean they have a £15m wage bill and play in front of 25,000 in a fantastic stadium. Booing an Exeter team losing there is just mental IMO. Maybe he could have adjusted the formation or the playing style, or lobbed a second centre half up front. Of course having a decent striker would have been brilliant (and of course GC carries part of the blame for that not being in place). But ultimately the key reason, for me, was the injuries. Results prior and since, seem to back that up.
Seems odd to target one game when the run was for almost fourth whole months?

I think you’re kidding yourself that it was *just* injuries, but we all have opinions

Just yours are much less balanced

We haven’t exactly been scintillating with the uptick of results either so I’m not sure it does totally back it up

What BigBanker says is right - GC has adapted and adjusted since those dark months and to remove that idea of him learning and improving is a disservice to him IMO

More of that and we could be in for an interesting season next year. It needs a lot of work and I don’t subscribe to this idea that we’ve somehow got to a point where everything is golden; we have very much struggled throughout but have scrambled to safety

Summer and the recruitment is massive, Flitcroft needs to step up too

Last edited:

Boyo

Seems odd to target one game when the run was for almost fourth whole months?

I think you’re kidding yourself that it was *just* injuries, but we all have opinions

Just yours are much less balanced
What an utterly weird response. Did you actually read my post? I literally said "there were other factors" in the first sentence. I then went on to say that losing to a sunken giant is no disgrace, and talked about how GC could have changed formation or style. But yeah, I said "just injuries", sure thing, nothing else to see here.

Your failure to admit that you called it wrong is stifling a lot of debate. You used to be someone I enjoyed engaging with, but you're just boring now.