• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Happy to be in a minority over this (and anything else).

I'd rather be right than popular, as a rule.
What's right for you isn't necessarily right for somebody else. As you're in the minority, I'm not going to say you're wrong from your own perspective, a large majority are very happy to suggest otherwise.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I love the derby games, home and away, although wouldn't yet take my son to the away game as he's only 9, but I would take him to the SJP game.

The away game is pretty unpleasant for a kid and could easily put them off football, however as soon as they become a teenager it becomes the must attend fixture!

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
For the first question, the only fair way to look at it is to ask if anyone who applied for the job and got rejected has done better somewhere else. We could maybe add those who were mentioned in the media as serious candidates, even if they didn't formally apply. But the vacancy was open for a long time, they had every opportunity to put themselves forward.

So who did the club miss out on? Artell, now at Grimsby, and hoping to stay in L2. Holden, sacked by Charlton. Who else did City (supposedly) miss out on?

The only other option was obviously an internal appointment, where no results comparison is possible because he's here. So realistically, if we say that Caldwell should not have been appointed then it's basically Kevin Nicholson, who might have done a good job, but we can't know (maybe one day we will). And that's all.

Inventing other fantasy managers who would have been great is harmless fun for us, but it wasn't an option for the people who appointed Caldwell.
What I don't understand is why were there (supposedly) so few candidates and none (seemingly) with any great pedigree?

Is it because we're always framing the job as being so difficult (tiny budget / we can't attract players to the South West)?

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Let’s not forget Fleetwood stayed up on 40 points 2 years ago in a supposedly weak league
Teams don't get fewer points in weaker leagues. I don't understand why people think this.

wiveygrecian

Teams don't get fewer points in weaker leagues. I don't understand why people think this.
I agree but just shows sometimes 40 points is enough which is a very small amount . Might be the same this season if the teams down there continue their form

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
A lot of this debate is being aimed towards the Caldwell out's, who else would you get etc etc.

I am wondering, what kind of run would turn those whom are pro Caldwell against him?

So if we lost all of our remaining games, but stayed up, would you still back him going into next season? Or if we start next season like Cheltenham did this season Or did another 100 day stretch without a win.

Just curious.

Looking forward to the two Devon derbies in the league next season
Plymouth will stay up, as the rest down the bottom are worse than them. Would like QPR or Birmingham fixtures next season!!!

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
A lot of this debate is being aimed towards the Caldwell out's, who else would you get etc etc.

I am wondering, what kind of run would turn those whom are pro Caldwell against him?

So if we lost all of our remaining games, but stayed up, would you still back him going into next season? Or if we start next season like Cheltenham did this season Or did another 100 day stretch without a win.

Just curious.
I still struggle to understand why anyone backed him during our bad run this season. It looked incredibly bleak and Caldwell's record didn't really give any indication the situation was likely to improve.

Fair play to those who did stick with him - Fleetwood away was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

As you said @MJP_Exeter , it makes me wonder at what point the likes of @STURTZ would have said enough is enough, surely patience was running out?

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I disagree. These days I hate games against them, there is always menace and conflict in the air, it's an uncomfortable experience. Fun for the kids and uber-tribalists, I suppose, but now I'm old, I can do without the hassle. If we never play them again I'd lose no sleep, in fact the reverse.
Tend to agree with this.

I resolved never to go to Gnome Park again after the Plymouth thugs assaulted some of our fans on the walkway after the game. Back in November 2010 I think.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tend to agree with this.

I resolved never to go to Gnome Park again after the Plymouth thugs assaulted some of our fans on the walkway after the game. Back in November 2010 I think.
That was the worst I've ever seen it down there. A brilliant game and memorable result, but it was not nice trying to get back to the car afterwards.