• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

JGrecian23

Just get him in the team. We never win anything by being defensive. Go 4-3-3.

Rice - Bellingham - Foden
Saka - Kane - Watkins

Foden roaming wherever he wants. Watkins from the left.

Goals goals goals. What's the point in playing Henderson, Phillips etc and trying to sneak a 1-0 and getting knocked out on pens. Doesn't work.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
You can never have enough players who know how to score a goal. Hasn't this season taught you anything?
With the talent we have available I don't think scoring goals will be an issue.

I think Southgate doesn't pick Watkins because he likes his 9 to come to feet making the most of the pace of the wide players. When Watkins plays all 3 attackers are running towards goal so we're less effective.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think Southgate doesn't pick Watkins because he likes his 9 to come to feet making the most of the pace of the wide players. When Watkins plays all 3 attackers are running towards goal so we're less effective.
That's my reading too. Though I don't necessarily agree about "less effective".

Ollie is not a reserve for Harry Kane, he's a somewhat different type of player. If Southgate is foolish enough to prefer a Kane clone as a backup (so he can keep to his rigid system rather then someone who is slightly different, more skilful and flexible, and can play in several roles), he will pick Toney.

Ollie will only be chosen in preference to Rashford, and we know the latter will be chosen if fit regardless of form or contribution, that's what Southgate does. Same will apply to Maguire and Henderson.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
That's my reading too. Though I don't necessarily agree about "less effective".

Ollie is not a reserve for Harry Kane, he's a somewhat different type of player. If Southgate is foolish enough to prefer a Kane clone as a backup (so he can keep to his rigid system rather then someone who is slightly different, more skilful and flexible, and can play in several roles), he will pick Toney.

Ollie will only be chosen in preference to Rashford, and we know the latter will be chosen if fit regardless of form or contribution, that's what Southgate does. Same will apply to Maguire and Henderson.
Thats the problem. Southgate IS foolishly fixed with his rigid system. He will carry on selecting the players we all expect he will select. Southgate doesn't do the surprise, the unexpected. He's a percentages man who sticks with what he knows or at least what he thinks he knows.

Average Joe

Thats the problem. Southgate IS foolishly fixed with his rigid system. He will carry on selecting the players we all expect he will select. Southgate doesn't do the surprise, the unexpected. He's a percentages man who sticks with what he knows or at least what he thinks he knows.
Southgate refused to play Vardy and its been clear on many occasions we needed pace upfront

Under Southgate I worry Watkins will fall victim of Gareths blinkers.

Bridgy 81

Thats the problem. Southgate IS foolishly fixed with his rigid system.
And that sounds strangely familiar.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Southgate will take Ollie to the Euros because after Kane we're not exactly blessed with a handful of quality no 9's.

Ollie deserves his place on the plane, he's been class this season. He's still yet to prove it on the biggest stage though, which is basically in a big game for England.

Can he do it? Of course he can, he's shown his class week in week out in the Premier League. Whether Southgate gives him an opportunity is another matter, I doubt he will, he'd rather play Sterling upfront on his own. Hate Southgate, if England had an elite manager at the helm we'd have already won a mager tournament in the past 10 years.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
He won’t get a look in for England in terms of the starting 11 despite his form IMO.

Is he worth a place in the squad? Yes.

He’s having a fine career is Ollie he’s a very good player and proven at PL level be interesting to see how he does at CL level (if Villa get there)

denzel

Listened to 5Live where some armchair fan said we don't have any strikers apart from Kane so should play 4-5-1. Not sure how many goals Watkins needs to score to be considered a striker

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Are you saying Caldwell is the perfect fit for England manager?