• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Bristol Rovers match day thread

scottus86

It's Mental that some people are giving Cox stick.

He is 19 years old in his first season of professional men's football and just won player of the month. He struggled to make an impact in a game where the service to him wasn't great. Yes, he had a one on one and until he puts one away at this level it's going to be a lot of pressure on the young boy. He'll be a big player for us IMO, yet half the fanbase are convinced he's Ben Seymour in disguise lol. He scored for fun at youth level and that is slowly but surely transitioning into the professional game, the boy needs time and patience.

As for their goal. The ref has had a stinker as he blocks off two of our defenders making any kind of impact on the strike while giving their striker about 7 yards of space in all directions. Either way, who made that clearance? That was week as.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Unless it's Rugby Union of course. Beware the vitriol if that gets a mention.
If it makes you feel better rugby is a better watch than NFL

The concept should work - and it clearly does with much of middle America obsessed with it - but it’s a fever dream of a sport

Baseball and Ice Hockey are much mote fun if you find yourself over the other side of the Atlantic

That being said they also fall into the trap of the tiny US attention span 😂

tonykellowfan

I enjoy the NFL, it is not everyone's cup of tea, if you want the relentless 90 minutes of football you won't get that in the NFL. But people who are into it, tend to get a lot out of it, as I do.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Can’t agree with your assessment. We were totally predictable. Rovers kept the ball very well after taking the lead. We had little guile to respond to going behind.
Can’t agree with you. We had a terrible 10 minutes immediately after they scored, and other than us being woeful in that period, Rovers brought absolutely nothing. They barely got in our half during the second period. Meanwhile, Sonny missed his chance, Reece hit the bar, and had another chance well saved from a tight angle (when he should have squared to a free Sonny). Still haven’t mentioned Jacks early effort after the break, where he really ought to have hit the target.

I’m no Caldwell apologist, but your assessment is wrong.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
You Winkleigh boys seem to be obsessed with American *****, Super Bowl, Twilight Zone etc. Next thing we’ll be hearing about is your infatuation with Sleepy Joe 😂
Are still obsessing over me and my life style?

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Yes an experienced striker would probably have put away the Sonny Cox one on one with the keeper. However, Sonny is a young lad making his way so we need to cut him some slack. He will learn.
Absolutely. I’d only a few weeks ago we had no centre forward, and weren’t creating those chances either. Now we have both, and Sonny is getting in good positions. Missing is part of the game, and if he continues to be in positions where chances come, he’ll be just fine when confidence hits.

Red Monster

We must be the most patient fans in the country.
We’ve scored 8 goals at home in 15 games FFS 😡

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's Mental that some people are giving Cox stick.

He is 19 years old in his first season of professional men's football and just won player of the month. He struggled to make an impact in a game where the service to him wasn't great. Yes, he had a one on one and until he puts one away at this level it's going to be a lot of pressure on the young boy. He'll be a big player for us IMO, yet half the fanbase are convinced he's Ben Seymour in disguise lol. He scored for fun at youth level and that is slowly but surely transitioning into the professional game, the boy needs time and patience.

As for their goal. The ref has had a stinker as he blocks off two of our defenders making any kind of impact on the strike while giving their striker about 7 yards of space in all directions. Either way, who made that clearance? That was week as.
I agree that we all need to stick with Sonny. As frustrating as it was that his miss probably cost us the game he has shown he is developing nicely and all strikers miss those at some stage. With regard to the goal it was Harper's weak clearance that was as equally culpable as the ref getting in the way. Ironic that a goal can be disallowed if someone gets in the way of the goalie's sight but I assume there is nothing in the rule book regards ref's getting in the way only if the ball hits them

Stelios

If it makes you feel better rugby is a better watch than NFL

The concept should work - and it clearly does with much of middle America obsessed with it - but it’s a fever dream of a sport

Baseball and Ice Hockey are much mote fun if you find yourself over the other side of the Atlantic

That being said they also fall into the trap of the tiny US attention span 😂
Best thing I ever saw at the SuperBowl was Tom Petty.

The fact next week's Super Bowl is due to be the most-watched on record because of Taylor Swift rather than the actual sport itself says it all :D

Enjoy your ad breaks lads (y)

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Not recognising the game from comments in on this thread. Having been firmly off the view that Caldwell needs replacing, I’m seeing lots of chat here from people seeing what they want to see, not what took place. Ilmari had a bad game. Should have been put out of his misery at half time.

Didn’t think we were ponderous, there was much more purpose than previous home games. Too many long balls up to Sonny, either not near him, or when there was no one remotely close to support him, but he battled bravely, held up well, and got himself into good positions.

Vinny and Deon had good games, and that left hand side was very strong, and most of our good moments came from that side. Please also note the good work Tom Carroll did, drifting out there to support them both, in both attacking and defensive situations. Back 3 were good, other than the 10 minutes after their goal (you can see confidence is still fragile), when Cheick had his standfinders on. Cole was positive, aggressive, and got about well. Jack had really hit form, but still needs to hit the target more, and better.

Another point to note… Several people (myself included) made it clear to Reece, in hospitality afterwards, that he should have clattered the ref before their goal. He would have had to stop play, and it wasn’t their fault he was in the way. I think, although he didn’t say it, his expression acknowledged he should have.