• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Stupid question, but are we not at +1?
not with Trevitt going back….

Harris replaces him , so in theory the squad is no further forward in terms of numbers or depth both or which are needed to have a better 2nd half of the season.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
not with Trevitt going back….

Harris replaces him , so in theory the squad is no further forward in terms of numbers or depth.
But wasn't Trevitt injured? It's surely not primarily about numbers. We could just sign up a load of corpses and it wouldn't help us out much

StudentGrecian

Everything's relative, isn't it? We signed Nombe for money at what? 23? Jayden Stockley was 24? Promising players who we improved and made a profit on. Fine, Premiership clubs and Championship clubs didn't fancy them. But there's promising and there's promising. Personally, I think the market for us, in terms of permanent deals, is those players who are a little older and maybe game-hardened, but looking like they're not quite good enough to challenge for a place at premiership level.
Very true, neither were really fancied by many, hence us being able to get them for 100k.

But I was talking in the context of the conversation, where we were discussing youngsters currently doing well, you don’t pick them up for 300k.

Summer market, we should absolutely be identifying targets like Nombe and those struggling to get in a higher league clubs. January isn’t the right market for it unless you want to overpay imo.

Last edited:

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
But wasn't Trevitt injured? It's surely not primarily about numbers. We could just sign up a load of corpses and it wouldn't help us out much
we need numbers - we’ve just named a 41 year old on the bench recently.

we need 2-3 quality players and 1 of 2 extra bench - squad players.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Very true, neither were really fancied by many, hence us being able to get them for 100k.

But I was talking in the context of the conversation, where we were discussing youngsters currently doing well, you don’t pick them up for 300k.

Summer market, we should absolutely be identifying targets like Nombe and those struggling to get in a higher league clubs. January isn’t the right market for it unless you want to overpay.
Well, whatever price bracket your looking for, it's essentially the same challenge, isn't it? Get someone who turns out to be worth a lot more than you pay. Also "doing well" is pretty relative. And it's not only the fee that puts the ceiling on it. We're not going to get players that Championship clubs fancy for their first teams. Seems like Will Evans is in that category. Jake Young? Lorent Tolaj? Who knows?

Colesman Ballz

Summer market, we should absolutely be identifying targets like Nombe and those struggling to get in a higher league clubs. January isn’t the right market for it unless you want to overpay.
We have "come up short" in the summer transfer market of both 2022 and 2023, so what makes you think we will do much better this year ? We have ended up relying on loans and short term contracts which means another massive squad rebuilding will be necessary. We talk about "long term" stability in the Club but their is no signs of that happening with regard to the team, it has become ad hoc and forward planning has gone out the window !

StudentGrecian

We have "come up short" in the summer transfer market of both 2022 and 2023, so what makes you think we will do much better this year ? We have ended up relying on loans and short term contracts which means another massive squad rebuilding will be necessary. We talk about "long term" stability in the Club but their is no signs of that happening with regard to the team, it has become ad hoc and forward planning has gone out the window !
Where did I say that we will do better this year?

I actually agree with your point.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
How so in 2022? Didn't have much business to do, did the business. Ended with 5 senior strikers who'd all start for the current side. Had to overpay for a keeper, boo-boo... Thought it wasnt too bad personally.

Colesman Ballz

How so in 2022? Didn't have much business to do, did the business. Ended with 5 senior strikers who'd all start for the current side. Had to overpay for a keeper, boo-boo... Thought it wasnt too bad personally.
In 2022 we ended up with less signings than MT had stated were needed. Fortunately the overall balance of the team was not affected, just light in numbers. The $hit show of 2023 left us with gaping holes, particularly in attack, and we ended up with a hotch potch of short term signings as we desperately tried to fill gaps.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
we need numbers - we’ve just named a 41 year old on the bench recently.

we need 2-3 quality players and 1 of 2 extra bench - squad players.
I think we need 4 quality players (including Harris). 3 more to go. Don't care so much about numbers... I'll judge what I see on the pitch. Anyone can just bulk their squad up with Rekeem Harpers.

Also care much less about quickness. As long as they're done and in by the time the window shuts... They need to be GOOD!

Last edited: