• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Portsmouth Matchday Thread (Friday 29th December)

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
I do know who he is. He just makes them appear a tinpot club now. Maybe he needs to take up knitting or something. Leave the bell ringing to somebody younger who can manage a tune....all a bit creepy and Jimmy Saville like
I'm surprised one of their fans hasn't taken him to one side and had a word.
They actually were making a decent noise to begin with, then he piped up with his bell and it all got lost.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
What did you really expect from us having just gone 3 months without a win against the side who are flying high at the top of the table? Us to come out and play like Brazil circa 1970 just because we've finally won a game. We dug in, did a job and got the point our performance deserved. Was it pretty? No, but it was a step in the right direction given these past few months.
was they beatable? yeah….

could we have won the game with a bit more attacking intent? yeah….

that’s the bit i find annoying….yes it’s a good result in context of the table & the r is recent form and before the game everyone would of taken a point but based on the game itself with a bit more bravery or willingness to go for it we could of turned them over and for me that’s something we need to improve on.

IMO you need to be able to adapt to the match situation regardless of form and once it got to 60-70 minutes it was there for the taking did we believe that? not IMO.

We took off Sonny Cox a striker and replaced him with a midfielder (Kyle Taylor) bringing on an forward player in the 93rd minute (James Scott) that for me sends out the wrong signals or intent to the opposition.

Mid Devon Grecian

Question for those who watch City regularly, especially if you go to the games (I don't):

Is Caldwell his own replacement? Meaning ... at most clubs he would have been sacked before now, after a terrible run. Then the new "firefighter" would have come in, and at struggling clubs they usually follow the standard Plan B for short-term gains: they can't sign anyone yet so they work on the basics, organisation, hard work and simpler tactics, scrap for points and build confidence first.

Is that what has happened?

(Not meant to be another "Caldwell Out" thread, this isn't about whether he should be sacked, more asking if things have changed because the manager has changed, instead of being changed, if that makes any sense).
He was in the last chance saloon and I think he had to change things or knew he’d be sacked.

Aimson getting sent off gave Chieck a chance and he’s made a big difference to our defence.

Bringing Sonny back looked like a last throw of the dice and looks to be paying off.

Jury’s still out for me, but moving in the the right direction.

denzel

that’s the bit i find annoying….yes it’s a good result in context of the table & the r is recent form and before the game everyone would of taken a point but based on the game itself with a bit more bravery or willingness to go for it we could of turned them over and for me that’s something we need to improve on.

IMO you need to be able to adapt to the match situation regardless of form and once it got to 60-70 minutes it was there for the taking did we believe that? not IMO.

We took off Sonny Cox a striker and replaced him with a midfielder (Kyle Taylor) bringing on an forward player in the 93rd minute (James Scott) that for me sends out the wrong signals or intent to the opposition.
We had to see out the game in the last 20, our players were clearly knackered as they all only played three days ago, whereas Pompey could bring on three good players. Sadly we are lacking similar depth.

haka

Is it just having Cheick back in defence and Sonny giving us more of a threat up front or is there something else as well?
Sonny Cox = Mark Robins? ;)

(very old reference, kids ask your grandparents ...)

grecIAN Harris

It comes down to one very simplistic answer that you and a number of others think there is far more to and that is the lack of a line leading striker. Sonny is ready to lead the line on his own yet. Scotty isn't a line leading striker. We lost Nombe, didn't/couldn't replace and every other problem has evolved from that. It really is that uncomplicated.

STURTZ

Just back and got to say that those supporters that chose to stay away as part of their Caldwell out protests missed a very good match.

A character full and well disciplined Exeter looked every inch as good as a Portsmouth team that are actually clear at the top of the league, we could indeed have won it but for me a draw was the right result.

We know that we have a very light squad and have few options up front so here's hoping that we can fill those gaps and really start to turn things around.

Hard to see what has changed, Diabates return, Sonny Cox's vast improvement? Cole as captain? Carrolls return to form? the revelation that is Jules? Not sure but I'm certainly seeing light at the end of the tunnel!

tea stand

Wayne Carlisle was sat in the main stand tonight with some ecfc staff. I wonder if a return in some capacity is imminent.
He was also at the Bristol Rovers v Portsmouth game on boxing day.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
It comes down to one very simplistic answer that you and a number of others think there is far more to and that is the lack of a line leading striker. Sonny is ready to lead the line on his own yet. Scotty isn't a line leading striker. We lost Nombe, didn't/couldn't replace and every other problem has evolved from that. It really is that uncomplicated.
i’m very aware of the situation i don’t need you to point it out but appreciate your efforts.

Sonny isn’t able to lead the line yet of course he’s not he’s a kid learning his trade he needs support stevie wonder could see that tonight. can’t question his endeavour or effort mind.

I don’t see any striker regardless of previous performances of career stats scoring goals in this City side currently and that’s down to the way the team is set up.

Caldwell can’t win i understand that because if we lose 3 or 4 nil people blast him i get that.

But when you see a midfielder replace a striker with 20-25 minutes to go after a pretty drab 60-70 minutes proceeding it for me it just feels deflating…

i’m all for staying in the game for 60-70 mins keeping it tight and then looking to win it late on that’s fine….

it’s too easy to say Scott isn’t this or that, Sonny isn’t this or that, Aitchison isn’t this or that , Wildschut isn’t this or that….i understand none of them are what you would call prolific but having 2 of them on the field for the final 20 minutes when it’s 0-0
at home when you’ve spent £20 to watch isn’t much to ask IMO.

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

i’m very aware of the situation i don’t need you to point it out but appreciate your efforts.

Sonny isn’t able to lead the line yet of course he’s not he’s a kid learning his trade he needs support stevie wonder could see that tonight. can’t question his endeavour or effort mind.

I don’t see any striker regardless of previous performances of career stats scoring goals in this City side currently and that’s down to the way the team is set up.

Caldwell can’t win i understand that because if we lose 3 or 4 nil people blast him i get that.

But when you see a midfielder replace a striker with 20-25 minutes to go after a pretty drab 60-70 proceeding it for me it just feels deflating.
It's not the way they're set up, it's the requirements of the modern game........ maintaing possession at all costs. If the pass/cross isn't on you recycle and go back the other way. If you haven't got a striker to feed, what do you think is going to happen? The ball is going to get recycled more often than not.Back in the day the game was played on percentages, you put the ball into an area and if whoever was playing furthest forward didn't get there well you'd done your job by putting the ball in the right area.