• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Cheltenham Town. Matchday Thread.

hillview red

Brief report...
Sinisalo - Excellent. Brilliant double save on 55 minutes, generally commanding and good with his feet. The difference between Vil and Woods is staggering. Hoping that McDonald gets a chance on Tuesday to become the number 2.

Sweeney, Aimson and Hartridge - Largely untroubled by a Cheltenham team that showed no courage or inventiveness. However, despite the opposition, they were all positive, moved the ball well and function so well as a 3. In conjunction with Vil they're really solid.

Jules - How many positions did he play? He looks a little lost when he gets in the final third but bags of effort and energy. Will probably thrive more against times that show even a modicum of attacking intent.

Mitchell - At times he's electric. He had their left back on toast (Thought their number 3 was lucky to stay on the pitch...). He's so positive, tidy and energetic... Just need to get him even more involved.

Carroll & Trevitt - Apologies for grouping them but they're just both bloomin' brilliant. Carroll controls everything, works hard and allows Trevitt to be all-action. Need to rest both on Tuesday in my opinion. They're too important. Brilliant reaction from TC at the final whistle - almighty roar!

Wildschut - interesting debut. Firstly, he watches the line brilliantly and times his runs well. The way he checks and arcs back is top notch. Should have had an assist after 2 minutes and was really positive for the first 20 minutes before drifting in and out of the game. One shocking effort aside, I think he could be a good acquisition.

Cole - Should have scored at least 2 in the first half but... we won't talk about that because his all round game was excellent. Big work-rate, an unbelievable cross for Scott's disallowed goal and a real positive. Much better in this role than RWB

Cox - Better than last week... But still think he needs a season long loan to help him adjust to the demands of league 2 and senior football in general.

Subs

Watts - Winning goal on debut! Looked lovely in what was probably an unfamiliar role of RWB. Great start.

Taylor - Tidy as usual and worked hard.

Scott - the positive - he took his goalscoring chance but was sadly offside. Apart from that, he was pretty poor. Needless yellow card and just doesn't cover enough ground when you're trying to close out a game.

Borges - did what was required and made a nuisance of himself trying to hold the ball up

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
..... for stupidity. You can't jump in front of somebody when they're taking a throw in, so he gets booked for ungentlemanly conduct.
But GC was yelling at him to do it even after ref warned them - hope GC pays fine for Big Yan ?

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Relief when Watts stuck it in, thought we were never going to break them down.

Clearly a much better side than Cheltenham who are completely hopeless. Dismal from them and they looked doomed already 😂

Cole was great, some of the stuff he can do with the ball is way beyond this level. Got a bit frustrated with Cox today - I’ve defended him a lot but he just was t committing 100% to crosses a balls through. Low on confidence I suspect and I don’t think he should have started.

Debutants… Yanic looked good to me, just needs to get up to speed. I didn’t expect Watts to slot in at RWB but I’m glad he did. Might not be his main position but did well in the role and looked far.

Thought Demi worked so hard today - I never thought we’d see a workhorse when we signed him but he never stops running and competing. What a signing he’s been.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Scott - the positive - he took his goalscoring chance but was sadly offside. Apart from that, he was pretty poor. Needless yellow card and just doesn't cover enough ground when you're trying to close out a game.
According to the manager, Scott is still not fully fit.

dontpassback

We got there in the end,how those headers didn’t go in I will never know,goal was taken well,and sinisalo was Alert enough to make two good saves,a patient display by city,wildschut looks a useful addition and I thought Scott was unlucky with his goal,but three points and a better result from the last time we played them at home UTC !

Pete Martin (CTID)

Considering our lofty league position, a sub-6k home crowd is a bit disappointing. Home loss last Sat and Chiefs also at home today factors no doubt.
It does however add to the argument that we are far from the need to spend millions (that we haven't got) on building a new stadium, which a few have been militating for.

fred binneys head

Having watched it back, I think the criticism of Cox for his missed header that hit the bar is misplaced. He wasn't standing on the line at all, he was 5 yards out and the ball came to him quickly, he tried to jump up but didn't have enough time. On another day it might have gone in, but it wasn't an absolute sitter for me. His time will come.

grecIAN Harris

Cheltenham came looking for a point and went home with what they deserved.............'uck all. It was always going to be a case of how long it took us to break them down because, to be fair to Cheltenham, they were set up well to defend but had absolutely nothing going forward. The trouble for Cheltenham is they are going to end up on more scorelines like today than they will with a point or three in their pocket.
The two new lads made a good impression. It was a shame for Wildschutt that there had to be half time, his fitness levels are such that he could have kept going without the break but the break was more detrimental to him than keeping going would have been. He is certainly going to be handful as soon as he fully fit. Watt looks like he is another version of Taylor, he's tenacious and plays with a verve and energy that vibrates around the side when he's on.
Has anybody seen Scott's goal yet? From The Bank it's hard to see how he is offside at any point. He's run from behind the defender, the ball has taken a deflection off of the defender at the front of the box so where is the offside??

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Decent win and a game we would have lost last season (we did lose!).

Cheltenham absolutely awful and I'd be shocked if they don't go down.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
James Scott booked.
I am away just wondered if anyone can update me on my boy James cameo role today? Booking harsh? Lively? Smiles all round to the Exeweb Scotties?