• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread 2023

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is there still that distinctive smell from the cellophane factory or whatever it is/was?
That's Bridgy's house - how dare you !
UTC

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Our season next season is all about the transfer window. Retention and quality additions, to just stand still assuming those expected to leave actually leave.

This summer is going to be tough. Irrespective of whom the manager is or whatever misgivings or optimism anyone has about GC. I literally didn't expect so much sensitivity to the PPG comment against the question I answered.

I'll make a friendly wager with you GM. if city finish 19th or higher, I'll donate £5 to the club and buy you a pint at a game I can get too. If we finish 20th or lower you replicate. To confirm I'll be delighted to buy you a pint and donate £5 to the club.

Out of curiosity, what are your expectations for next season? Sat here right now. Where would be good, acceptable, average and not good enough
Definitely mate, I accept 😂

I think we will push the top 10, however lower mid table would not be a failure given what we currently are as a club.

Relegation he should be sacked.

Bridgy 81

Is there still that distinctive smell from the cellophane factory or whatever it is/was?
No, the cellophane factory is long gone.
Ironically though that site is now a campus for workers building an enormous new nuclear power station nearby.
Nevertheless, the more people knock Bridgwater, the more I love it.
I think it’s because I like the underdog and intensely dislike places that are, in my view, too twee.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ironically though that site is now a campus for workers building an enormous new nuclear power station nearby.
I think it’s because I like the underdog and intensely dislike places that are, in my view, too twee.
It's also because Bridgwater is the centre of Squibbing !
UTC

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Definitely mate, I accept 😂

I think we will push the top 10, however lower mid table would not be a failure given what we currently are as a club.

Relegation he should be sacked.
I thought you would. My expectation is 20th at best. Hence why I've offered such a generous wager.

I can't see us pushing top ten unless we have a transfer window miles beyond that of 2021. I just can't see us getting that sort of quality in and can't see GC's style of play being effective enough to achieve that without significant quality coming in, I think standing still ultimately has to be the initial target and I am sceptical we can do that ATM. Hence my 20th I would be happy with next year as I just can't see it.

But I think 10-15 games into next season we will know whether GC was ultimately the right choice.

Let's wait n see

Memphis09

No, I’m not joking.
I’ve lived there over 30 years and I love it.
Good for you
As long as you support city I don’t really care lol 😆

Memphis09

I thought you would. My expectation is 20th at best. Hence why I've offered such a generous wager.

I can't see us pushing top ten unless we have a transfer window miles beyond that of 2021. I just can't see us getting that sort of quality in and can't see GC's style of play being effective enough to achieve that without significant quality coming in, I think standing still ultimately has to be the initial target and I am sceptical we can do that ATM. Hence my 20th I would be happy with next year as I just can't see it.

But I think 10-15 games into next season we will know whether GC was ultimately the right choice.

Let's wait n see
I think the main thing here GC knew before he got the job as he stated he watched videos of our games he would know who he was going to keep and who was not going to sign contracts
So on that basis I think he would of pushing Marcus to recruit hopefully players that will fill the necessary gaps in our squad
I think and hope we will do well next season expecting top half minimum utc

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think the main thing here GC knew before he got the job as he stated he watched videos of our games he would know who he was going to keep and who was not going to sign contracts
So on that basis I think he would of pushing Marcus to recruit hopefully players that will fill the necessary gaps in our squad
I think and hope we will do well next season expecting top half minimum utc
Fingers crossed. That's quite the optimistic prediction. I genuinely hope you're right.

Marcus does have a great track record with incoming signings, but this summer to finish top half we are gonna have to seriously recruit well. We are gonna have to do well to stand still.

Squeezebox

I wasn't knocking it mate - never been to the town, just remember the distinctive smell as we went up and down the motorway nearby!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for the retained list after the Morecambe game.