• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City v Argyle - Matchday Thread

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't think it's a question of wishing we were better at the dark arts, it's a question of needing to be, otherwise it's one of the factors which will impede our progression.
It'd be nice if we lived in a world where everything was fair and just, but unfortunately we don't, and certainly not in the field of professional football.
I suppose expecting half way competent refereeing is just a ridiculous pipe dream

C j phill

I hope that GC has a couple of good standard forwards who know how to score, in his book of potential players, together with a defender and midfielder who dont switch off on set plays, for next season's recruitment.

It wouldn't surprise me if there's quite a clear out at the end of the season, because I suspect that some of our current squad won't be able to deliver GC's style of preferred football.

Rosencrantz

Cheltenham, Burton and Argyle. There is a pattern. They came and played like a side battling relegation, sat behind the ball, slowed everything to a crawl, lumped it long to little effect and sneaked a win. You could call that pragmatic if you are being kind. Even from before the first whistle when they turned us around after winning the toss you could see their attitude. I can't remember either side turning around at the toss, home or away for years.

At the end of the day it's where we need to improve against sides that set up this way. We need a bit more quality around the penalty area to make better decisions and be more calm in those promising situations we find ourselves with the final ball. We also need to work the ref better. He was in their pocket all game.

arthur

I can't remember either side turning around at the toss, home or away for years.
Shrewsbury?

Grecian Max

Argyle are a pretty dire side to watch, compared to earlier in the season. With Wednesday currently losing their minds again they are as good as up - but will need a huge revamp not to go straight back down. So we can enjoy that next year.

City were brilliant out of the blocks but second half Argyle upped their pressing game and our wingbacks could barely get out of their half. Mitchell had a good game but isn't going to be effective for us, stuck in his own half. I thought Nombe looked off the boil and huffed and puffed. Goal was meh.

Not a classic Devon Derby at all. Argyle fans absolutely shocking yet again, sing a little bit when you're winning otherwise the usual silent fare from the Janners.

Red Devon

In the game at Home Park back in October we looked like a team who would score quite a few but concede quite a few too, now we look like a team that won’t let in many but also won’t score many either a difficult balancing act but that’s where I feel we are at the moment.
Thought Mitchell, Stanno and Nombe ran themselves into the ground..it was very hard on us to lose the game on the balance of play tho..Harry Kite beginning to look a bit League Two ish in recent games….it was a very good effort from everyone but we’re just lacking that little bit of extra quality in and around the box to go toe to toe with the top sides in League One.

Grecian Max

Thought we looked alright against a team at the top of the table and always looked like the only ones that we going to score. However, unlike earlier this season - which might well have coincided with Brown’s absence - we now seem very reluctant to shoot instead always looking for someone in a better position to have a go instead.

Bit of a shame then that the only way either them or us was going to score was in our own net - they were never going to score in a month of Sundays, but I guess you need to actually have shots in the first place - but such is football. Blackman was the least used goalkeeper I think I’ve ever seen in a local derby.

Stuff for Caldwell to work on then, and as an aside I enjoyed both managers‘ post match interviews - Caldwell very disappointed and Schumacher absolutely over the moon. It’s nice to see that both managers, for once, actually realise the importance of the game to both sets of fans rather than dismissing it as just another three points. Three points that we deserved more based what I saw this afternoon.
If Brown was on the pitch, we'd have won. Oh well, thanks Jevani.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
The lucky goal they got was enough in the end but I thought we set up properly and could have won also. If they go up it will be fun watching them finish 24th in the Championship.

robchave

If a defender deliberately gets in an attacking player's way and then throws himself to the floor, it should be treated as obstruction by the defender, not a foul by the attacker.
The same with 'shepherding' the ball out of play. Fine if you're following the ball, but as soon as you step out of the line of travel - that should be obstruction.
A player who doesn't immediately retreat 10 yards? Move the free-kick 10 yards towards the goal.
Throw-ins should be taken from the place where they leave the field of play.
Goalkeepers unnecessarily going to ground? Book them immediately for time wasting.
Take goalkicks from the side that ball goes out.
Anything else?

crocks

A draw would have been a fair result. I'm afraid City just didnt do enough in the 2nd half and once Argyle scored, it was pretty easy for them to manage and control the game. Mind you, Scott could have made a name for himself towards the end!