• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The BBC

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Look, I see nothing wrong with tax avoidance. But plenty do.

I do hate tax avoiders that pontificate however. Bono, Geldof, now Lineker.
Which one is illegal, Tax Avoidance or Tax Evasion? I can never remember which. HRMC said he was an employee, He said he wasn't, Went to appeal and the Judge agreed.

Mr Jinx

Which one is illegal, Tax Avoidance or Tax Evasion? I can never remember which. HRMC said he was an employee, He said he wasn't, Went to appeal and the Judge agreed.
Evasion is illegal. Avoidance isn't.

Reactions: DB9

angelic upstart

He avoided paying PAYE tax as he masqueraded as working under a private company umbrella when he was, for all intents and purposes, a full time employee of the BBC. Nothing wrong with that, he was just doing what he could. You know, just like financiers do, to avoid paying what we PAYE suckers have to.
According to AL20K the amounts you pay are very similar. I wonder how Mr L managed to avoid nigh on 5 mill in tax 🤷‍♂️

Either way, the decision sucks.

Mr Jinx

According to AL20K the amounts you pay are very similar. I wonder how Mr L managed to avoid nigh on 5 mill in tax 🤷‍♂️

Either way, the decision sucks.
I've done the ltd company thing. The tax you pay Vs PAYE is nowhere near close

iscalad

He avoided paying PAYE tax as he masqueraded as working under a private company umbrella when he was, for all intents and purposes, a full time employee of the BBC. Nothing wrong with that, he was just doing what he could. You know, just like financiers do, to avoid paying what we PAYE suckers have to.
He's a freelance worker. No amount of you saying he's employed by the BBC will make it any different.

Mr Jinx

He's a freelance worker.
Yeah so was I. I know the drill 😉

iscalad

Yeah so was I. I know the drill 😉
Sorry, I forgot you only agree with the facts that suit you.

angelic upstart

He's a freelance worker. No amount of you saying he's employed by the BBC will make it any different.
I agree, he's a freelance worker. But why should that make a difference to what he pays in tax? I'm not blaming Mr L. I'm blaming the terrible system.

Our very own PM recently announced his tax payments. Works out 22% of his earnings were paid in tax. The average worker on 60k a year will pay 29% of their salary in tax & NI

iscalad

I agree, he's a freelance worker. But why should that make a difference to what he pays in tax? I'm not blaming Mr L. I'm blaming the terrible system.

Our very own PM recently announced his tax payments. Works out 22% of his earnings were paid in tax. The average worker on 60k a year will pay 29% of their salary in tax & NI
Not Gary's fault. Decades of rubbish Chancellors are to blame.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
This is wrong and misleading.

The whole point was that he didn’t set up as a freelancer, using a Ltd company for invoicing purposes. This is the first error in your post. The company is a partnership, and this is why the case was dismissed.

In addition, my understanding is that hmrc we’re not chasing £4.5m, but what they thought should be employer National insurance payments due on the £4.5m under IR35.