• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Worst Ever Performance

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure if I mentioned this one earlier but a 5-0 thrashing by Rovers in the FA Cup. The only time Dad and I have ever left a game early.
I still have nightmares of watching an aged Noel Blake up against Jason Roberts and Jamie Cureton.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
View attachment 11114
Yes me absolutely soaked!! The worst i have ever been in at football
It can't have been wetter than Farnborough away in the FA Cup.

The St Albans match. Check out the last few minutes.

The St Albans match. Check out the last few minutes.

From about 4 minutes 30.

Cowshed Grecian

One that sticks out to me was losing 3-0 at home to Notts County in 17/18 season, it was a Tues night game at home. We were hopeless. It’s probably the moment I lost patience with Tisdale personally.

Red red

And it was on by birthday too!!! :cry:
Nonetheless, in the end it did turn out to be a "minor blip" in the context of the season overall.
For me, by far the worst I've seen was on 23rd April 1983 at the tail-end of the Godfrey era when Brentford inflicted a 1-7 cricket score on us (and that scoreline actually flattered us.) This was immediately followed by an almost equally abject 1-5 at Brisbane Road.
Yet despite these end of season set-backs the team still managed to follow up with a couple of wins in their remaining home games before a very, very late equaliser at Somerton Park managed to somehow save our sorry ar$es in Div 3 for one more season - just long enough for Gerry Francis to "finish the job".
Remember going all three of those games and yes don’t think it could be worse than the Brentford game

Red red

Are we allowed to include FA Cup games as well?
Bognor Regis and Alvechurch spring to mind. As do, more recently, Curzon Ashton, Warrington Town.....and THAT infamous replay at Anfield!!! :p
Stood in what is now the away end for the Alvechurch game as a lad. Didn’t appreciate how bad it was then. Hence enjoying today’s football

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
All the matches under Gerry the cnut Francis were bleddy awful. Even the ones we won.
One good one Isca was the win against top of the table Oxford United in January who cruised to the title that season...i grant it was thin gruel that season.

On one occasion that season, can’t remember against who, the usual fare was served up so I & a few friends decided to leave after about 40 mins of the first half & go back to the Egerton Park Hotel Bar. But had difficulty getting out of the BB !😁
In those days before Ground Safety Regs at SJP, there were no stewards at the exit gates(they were unlocked by a club official about 15 mins from full time) We had to scale the high gate on the Jungle Path Exit.
Breaking out of a ground must be unique to SJP 🤣

Ex-ciderrr

Haven't seen many matches live, but on Setanta when we were in the Conference: 0 0 vs Nortwich Victoria watched in the Three Lions pub, miserable!
Firstly, what a thread, been scrolling through and having a chuckle at peoples replies and its brought back various memories from such games. There have been many watching our beloved grecians over the years, late 90s and early 00s i mean take your pick :LOL:!

Recall this one being bad we were awful, like you say it was on setanta in a 5:15KO too. I also believe the then relatively new Victoria Stadium or (correct me if wrong Marstons Arena? as it was then known) is now demolished?

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Recall this one being bad we were awful, like you say it was on setanta in a 5:15KO too. I also believe the then relatively new Victoria Stadium or (correct me if wrong Marstons Arena? as it was then known) is now demolished?
The stadium is no more...It had a very short life of just a few years, must be the shortest tenure of a purpose built stadium in the UK. The Grecians only other visit there was a 1-0 defeat.

The game you mentioned was in doubt due to financial issues at Northwich Victoria, no programme issued for the game. I managed to get hold of a A4 team sheet that was handed out in the rather swish bar attached to the ground pre match.

Reactions: ORy