• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Official Exeter City versus Charlton Athletic Matchday Thread

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Given that our team contains Jamal, all this whingeing about pretty standard time wasting seems a bit rich. FWIW I thought the ref had a good game
Interesting listening to GC referring to getting the other players booked after the match it would seem we are moving away from being "Mr Nice Guys", and prehap applying some of the dark arts ourselves

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting listening to GC referring to getting the other players booked after the match it would seem we are moving away from being "Mr Nice Guys", and prehap applying some of the dark arts ourselves
Matt Taylor moved us away from being completely innocent and in my opinion moving any further towards permitted cheating is not something I would support, but If things like Joe White diving and falling to the floor at every opportunity become something we do more and more then whom really supports that, It is not who or what we are and we are better than that. Time wasting is a scourge in football, We should not be employing this, if we do these things part of our identity will be lost in my opinion.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Matt Taylor moved us away from being completely innocent and in my opinion moving any further towards permitted cheating is not something I would support, but If things like Joe White diving and falling to the floor at every opportunity become something we do more and more then whom really supports that, It is not who or what we are and we are better than that. Time wasting is a scourge in football, We should not be employing this, if we do these things part of our identity will be lost in my opinion.
As long as other teams engage in the dark arts we put ourselves at a possible disadvantage by not joining in. It is up to the officials to stamp out these abuses. The time wasting is easy. One warning then a yellow. And add on all the time wasted properly.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's a balance between standing up for yourself, playing within the laws of the Game and what a referee will allow, so you are not rolled over by cheating like Lincoln and others try to do; and doing it deliberately and cynically. I am content with the former, indeed think we have been a bit too "nice" over the years, but agree we don't want to slip into the latter.

But as Al says, the biggest problem is the weakness of referees and their masters which has allowed the dark arts to flourish. E.g. the Laws of the game say the referee "must" caution players for delaying the taking of a free kick etc.

When was the last time any of us saw the following penalised?

Delaying the restart of play
Referees must caution players who delay the restart of play by:
• appearing to take a throw-in but suddenly leaving it to a team-mate to take
• delaying leaving the field of play when being substituted
• excessively delaying a restart
• kicking or carrying the ball away, or provoking a confrontation by deliberately touching the ball after the referee has stopped play
• taking a free kick from the wrong position to force a retake

Not penalising these and other offences have created a culture of impugnity. But I'm pessimistic about anything being done. I have a friend who was a Class One Ref and he just shrugs his shoulders when discussing this.

Last edited:

Exehausted

Might have mentioned this before but originally refs were instructed to book players who take their shirts off after scoring because shirt sponsors were complaining. The optimum exposure for the advert on the shirt is the photo of the player celebrating a goal, arms in the air displaying the ad. Player takes his shirt off -advertiser loses out. So the massive companies paying megabucks for shirt sponsorship in the Champions League and Prem kicked off. All about the money.

Never understood how this translates to lower league football however and,as you say, it's nonsense.
I had no idea about that, so thank you.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Might have mentioned this before but originally refs were instructed to book players who take their shirts off after scoring because shirt sponsors were complaining. The optimum exposure for the advert on the shirt is the photo of the player celebrating a goal, arms in the air displaying the ad. Player takes his shirt off -advertiser loses out. So the massive companies paying megabucks for shirt sponsorship in the Champions League and Prem kicked off. All about the money.

Never understood how this translates to lower league football however and,as you say, it's nonsense.
Although it may well have arisen for the reasons you advance, it's nowadays a specific cautionable offence under the Laws of the Game

A player must be cautioned, even if the goal is disallowed, for:

• climbing onto a perimeter fence and/or approaching the spectators in a manner which causes safety and/or security issues
• acting in a provocative, derisory or inflammatory way
• covering the head or face with a mask or other similar item
• removing the shirt or covering the head with the shirt

Much more often applied than for the offences mention in post #224, of course...

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Joe White needs to get much better at going down when he's been fouled. Refs give fouls every game on about five occasions minimum (more in the Prem), when a player goes down because he knows he's been fouled, and he goes down to claim the free kick. Refs sometimes don't give it if you don't go down, which is why they do it, and why managers encourage them to do it. Often though if a ref sees a player deliberately falling after the moment of impact they don't give it, especially in England and especially in the lower divisions. However, White needs to stop going down deliberately when he hasn't received any contact, which is diving.

Personally, it annoys me more that tactical fouls to stop counter attacks are not automatically yellow cards at any level than players going down, because the ref has the power to book them for simulation or not give the free kick if they do it when they are obviously not forced by any contact into going down. White has not cheated at all yet, because the rules have been applied and he didn't win any penalties or free kicks unfairly.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Joe White needs to get much better at going down when he's been fouled. Refs give fouls every game on about five occasions minimum (more in the Prem), when a player goes down because he knows he's been fouled, and he goes down to claim the free kick. Refs sometimes don't give it if you don't go down, which is why they do it, and why managers encourage them to do it. Often though if a ref sees a player deliberately falling after the moment of impact they don't give it, especially in England and especially in the lower divisions. However, White needs to stop going down deliberately when he hasn't received any contact, which is diving.

Personally, it annoys me more that tactical fouls to stop counter attacks are not automatically yellow cards at any level than players going down, because the ref has the power to book them for simulation or not give the free kick if they do it when they are obviously not forced by any contact into going down. White has not cheated at all yet, because the rules have been applied and he didn't win any penalties or free kicks unfairly.
He didn't win a foul, but he still tried to cheat on a couple of occasions. Certainly one in front of the Stanno Stand should have been a yellow for simulation, as was a clear as day he tried to dive because he lost control of the football. He then berated the lino, when actually he was lucky to not be yellow carded for the dive and them yellow carded for remonstrating.

The posts though re. Referees. This issue starts and stops are Refs. They have the laws and the punishments. They need to get on and literally follow the guidelines to sort this out.

I personally would introduce a time keeper. Whom would start / stop the time when the ball goes out of play for a throw in, free kick, Corner etc. The Klaxon then sounds and the next time the ball is dead (Out of play) it is full time. I would also have an 8 second rule for keepers to release the ball from their arms. Unfortunately their seems no will in football to actually deal the very real issues around time wasting, Diving and cheating etc. When actually this is one of the most off putting aspects to new fans.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry if this has been mentioned but what was the attendance on Saturday?

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry if this has been mentioned but what was the attendance on Saturday?
Attendance: 7,685 (1057 Away)