• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ECFC V FGR Matchday thread

lamrobhero

Don’t know if you’re the same poster who has mentioned this before, but Psychology is a huge part of sport. People are realising more and more the benefits of training the mind as much as the body in order to reach peak performance. I’m currently doing my masters in Applied Sports Psychology in order to become a certified mental performance coach. I can guarantee in the near future a sports psychologists/mental performance coaches will be a common part of a staff in professional football just like a Physio or Strength and conditioning coaches.

I look forward to reaching out to GC in the future to offer my services!
Probably the same poster. I appreciate that I am likely just displaying my ignorance and my opinion may be coloured by my own work experience. We shall see how it pans out with Gary. I appreciate the importance of psychology, its just the way Gary talks / has talked about it would not inspire me, but maybe that's just me. I won't mention it again for some time because I realise that I am being incoherent.

Maybe in addition to the Chas series the media team could do a sports psychologist series ?
"Scoring just before half time is more important than scoring at any other time" - is it though? - surely players need to be able to transcend such a happening
"Important that players give 100% in every game" - is it though? - nobody gives 100% all the time, I didn't when I was working.

Andy_H

Probably the same poster. I appreciate that I am likely just displaying my ignorance and my opinion may be coloured by my own work experience. We shall see how it pans out with Gary. I appreciate the importance of psychology, its just the way Gary talks / has talked about it would not inspire me, but maybe that's just me. I won't mention it again for some time because I realise that I am being incoherent.

Maybe in addition to the Chas series the media team could do a sports psychologist series ?
"Scoring just before half time is more important than scoring at any other time" - is it though? - surely players need to be able to transcend such a happening
"Important that players give 100% in every game" - is it though? - nobody gives 100% all the time, I didn't when I was working.
Ah but, did you have your works equivalent of Exeweb to dissect and 'interpret' your every move and action for weeks afterwards?

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
You probably gave 100% for a minimum of 90 minutes every week though, didn’t you?

lamrobhero

You probably gave 100% for a minimum of 90 minutes every week though, didn’t you?
I had peaks and troughs and my aim and that of my manager was to manage those peaks and troughs together. Sometiems I was successful, sometimes less so - thats life. A staple of football fan phone ins and pundits is the idea that fans deserve 100% effort - isn't football (and life) more complicated than that?

Also, if my manager told me and the world that he had warned me of a "psychological trap" and that he said I had fallen in to when there were all sorts of other variables at play I would have taken a dim view of it.

fred binneys head

Yeah but managers and fans only expect players to give 100% during games, not the entire week. And games are only 90 minutes long, in two sections of 45 minutes. If you had peaks and troughs every 45 minutes I think it’s reasonable for your manager to question your performance.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is 308 the most fans FGR have ever brought to a game at SJP?

iscalad

If so, that's quite impressive given their league position.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
But were all of them Forest Green fans, or did some ticketless home fans sneak into the away end incognito?

Spoonz Red E

A few of the on the day attendees were 'neutrals' at a loose end following the Torquay - Taunton Town postponement.

Red Bill

Plus i think you have to factor in how FGR fans view a game against us. Whilst City fans may see FGR as a relatively local, bordering on derby type game, if you're an FGR fan there are 7 other L1 teams (Bristol Rovers, Cheltenham, MKD, Oxford, Portsmouth, Shrewsbury and Wycombe) that are closer to Nailsworth than Exeter and a couple more (port Vale and Derby) that are only a few miles and a quarter of an hour further. So when you add in the L1 teams that are also closer that they have become accustomed to playing over the last few years, they may not see a game against us in as anything special. So in fairness to them, 300 away fans for a club with their history and home attendances is a respectable showing.